HybridZ

R200 spool.

icewtr

Weir performance.com i just put one in my 86 300zxt open diff. Very nice. I wll add somepictures later today if possible. $425. Shipped to me .

I'm curious as to why you would choose this over, say, an OBX LSD which is the same price, if not cheaper?

If you're drag racing a trailer queen, a spool is better than a limited slip. Much stronger, and you really don't want any differentiation anyway. Not the safest thing on the street though.

True, I guess I don't think from the dedicated drag-strip perspective.

There are no issues at all on the street. I have another car with a spool and over 700 hp i drive all over when the weather letts me. Yes turning corners is noisy. I mean i wouldnt put one in for a daily driver.

Not to derail the thread but has anyone here used a cam and pawl type differential? from what I've read on it it locks when its doing anything were the two wheels aren't going the same speed and direction.

In which case it is almost like a welded/spool diff.

Or am I just not getting/reading enough?

I know its old tech and they wear out etc.

Cam and pawl is old tech race car stuff (like formula car). I don't think you'll see that kind of setup for any diff the we would be likely to use. Detroit Locker would be close, and those are available for the H233 which makes me wonder if that would work on an R230. I did have a friend who had an OLD Detroit for an R190. This was pre-soft-locker. He had it in his 510 and it scared the crap out of me the first time he went around a corner.

I actually found a cam and pawl locker that was being used in Some Datsun for racing. It was at a machine shop and they guy asked me if I wanted it. The PO just left it and never picked it up. I got it for $250.

I brought it to JohnC to have him check it out and he had some of the extra Subie half shafts laying around and we test fit one of them in.

I fits the 115mm ring gear also.