HybridZ

Which lowering springs to buy?

Hey there guys so I am debating on dropping my 72 Datsun 240Z a little more than an inch. I've been doing lots of research and I'm not sure which springs set I should get. I'm thinking about Tokico blues for the shocks but not sure of springs. I've read a lot on here about some of the troubles some members here has gone through just installing the tokico springs and how the drop is almost identical to the stock height. I'm thinking about the Eibach Prokit finding that it drops from 1-1.5 inches from stock height. Any suggestions and opinions will be very well appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

GDP

Here are some pictures of my car.

post-6134-040778700 1328944201_thumb.jpg

with centerline wheels

post-6134-067471400 1328944674_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom Z

I had tokico lowering springs on my car with a 225/50/16 tire, and it looked like this

250586_10150333271239676_714674675_10072006_2401075_n.jpg

Obviously an improvement on the stock rock crawler stance, but TBH it wasnt enough for me, i cut 3 of the dead coils up front and 1.5 coils out back and it sits like such

DSC_0001.jpg

big improvement looks wise. i have not been able to drive it yet, and TBH im expecting a pile of **** when it comes to the ride, seeing as i have at most 2 inches of bump travel... I plan on doing a coilover conversion as soon as possible

the ride was pretty decent when the tokicos were stock length, and the car handled decently

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Wow big improvement but I don't want to go through the hassle of cutting spings or coils. I just want install them and be set. I also want the ride and handling quality to be there. Thanks for sharing. Quick question, which kind of coilevers are you planning to get? I thought about that as well.

I have Eibach springs installed in my '73, the drop was about 1", but the greatest improvement was the ride and the handling.

I'll have to attach pics when I'm on a computer. For now here is a link to my build thread, that has pictures before and after in it. http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/101522-six-shooters-cause-of-stress-and-relief

Edited by Six_Shooter

That looks good so far. My car is also in the restoration process. So sounds like I'm going for Tokico struts and Eibach springs! I love the way all your Z's look. Thanks alot for sharing images of your wonderful Zs! I will update and post more pictures after my installations but still do upload and share images of your Zs. Thanks so much! You have been real helpful!

GDP

You're not going to get a good stance with off the shelf lowering springs. and you're not getting a good ride with said stance with stock length strut tubes.

TBH, Im going to piece together my own ground control style set using generic hats and threaded sections, QA1 springs, and some Bilstein P30 strut inserts (refer to the coilover install in the faqs section.) i was torn between a ground control style kit and getting an S13 coilover conversion kit, and some literature i found while researching the latter , made me decide on the former (basically, a test of shocks, ending by saying everything other than bilstein, penske, koni, and a handful of others are complete rubbish, and that a GC Kit with bilsteins will ride and handle much better than say a set of S13 megans or Godspeed or one of those generic Coilovers)

You're not going to get a good stance with off the shelf lowering springs. and you're not getting a good ride with said stance with stock length strut tubes.

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. I have stock length strut tubes, off the shelf parts and have a stance that I would refer to as "good", maybe even "great," and the ride is also what I would consider "good," much better than when I had the stock springs installed.

Wow, I had forgotten just how high a stock z-car is! Make sure to stay away from any springs claiming to be "progressive." The soft coils on a progressive spring just coil bind as if they were not there and you lose any travel that you have left. Stick with constant rate springs. When you go low, you also want to go stiffer rate in order to avoid bottoming out. Have a friend who just installed some Suspension Techniques springs and they worked out fine.

Edited by RebekahsZ

• 7 years later...
2 minutes ago, luke87gt said:

How much did you cut off the front springs? That looks a lot lower than the Eibach equipped Zs I’ve seen which tend to look nose high. 

I didn't cut any coils off, it turns out the 260Z spring perch is lower than the 240Z.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/38373-240z-eibach-springs-in-260z/

• 6 months later...

Hi!

just finished the few threads about getting eibachs into a 260z. I was hoping to get some more information from you.

i have an early 74 270z. And I am in the process of cleaning and updating the suspension. I have already bought new kybs and energy suspension bumpstops. However I am unsure to use my old springs, they are stock I believe. Or to go with the 240z eibach Springs, after reading your post I was wondering what ended up happening?

Does the front bottom out and sit poorly due to the lower perch?

should I avoid the eibachs and keep the stock springs?

Any help would be appreciated!

Only you, the owner/driver, can answer the question of Eibach (or any similar lowering spring) vs stock.  Do you want stock ride height and softer ride, of do you want lowering and firmer suspension?  Tokico is another good lowering spring, but they're pretty hard to find at this point.  Vogtland seems to get good reviews, but I have no personal experience with them.

Here's a link to one vendor for the high-quality bump stops referred to above.  Pricey, but worth it if you're serious about good handling:  http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_bump_stops.htm

• Like 1