HybridZ

Running issues l28et

jhill

1978 280z

1982 L28et -rebuilt

Stock efi

After the rebuild, I got the engine to run (with a few hiccups but the car hadnt moved in more than a year so I knew there would be some tinkering before she ran great) and ran it for about 100 miles. I take it out one day a couple weeks ago and when I get back the car wouldnt stay running AT ALL, I couldn't get it to run for more than 5-6 seconds before it would die out. It had the exact symptoms of a bad AFM and to be honest the one I had in there was used and questionable. So I bought a reman'd one and put it in, same results. I've got a little bit of time today to look at the car, gonna check the fuel pump and relay, the connector to the afm, switch computers, etc...Hopefully I run into the problem and fix it but what else would cause this? TPS? Head temp sensor? I dont know?

l

l

V

It turns over great, runs for about a second (probably fuel in the line) and if you rev the crap out of it it will run for another couple seconds (reving the crap out of it results in +/- 1400rpms) before it dies out.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Josh

Edited by jhill

EDIT

So the car will run. Sort of. It has nothing even close to resembling an idle, all I can do is rev it constantly to get it to continue running. And by running I mean barely running and missing as much as I think possible in the known universe. But I can do that all day and bring the rpms up probably as far as I want to, but there is something missing... there is absolutely no turbo spool. Its like as soon as you give it that amount of gas to spin the turbo it cuts out/misses hard. Confused. Could the tps be causing this running issue? Because I unplugged the connector to it and nothing changes to how it runs. Could it be bad gas? I feel so lost on this car I really need some help guys.

-Josh

Edited by jhill

When you say stock EFI do you mean the stock turbo ECCS system or did you use the 78 EFI system on the L28ET engine? Makes a big difference. If you have the turbo ECCS components, get a factory manual and follow the ECCS troubleshooting procedures. All you need is a volt/ohm meter and you can diagnose a whole lot of problems.