HybridZ

Machine shop ruined my cam towers.

Benjamin

There is no shop that I know of, or have been able to find, that is remotely close to me that I would trust to undersize/ Line-bore the head.

I have no access to the snap gauges needed to measure the inner diameter of the towers.

I feel that there are discrepancies in the blasted towers that will keep me from using them in their current state.

Another set of towers were sourced today to replace the blasted ones.

thanks for everyone who responded

-Ben

Paeco, Birmingham Alabama.

Snap gauges and digital caliper under $30 shipped to your door from Harbor Freight.

Good luck on your alignment, you only have to be "close enough" for it to work. This seems acceptable to you from the posts thusfar. Hammer, spanners, and a cam is all you need to do that.

O.K., Line bore them and see what you get without installing inserts or welding them undersize.

getoffmyinternet, direct the man to the supplier of the cams with the oversized cam bearing journals to utilize in the line bored towers (simply bored oversize WITHOUT measuring...

I'm sure all the racers will like this option as well, as then they can have 0.010, 0.020, 0.030, or 0.040" more lift at the cam from these oversized journals! Where has this technology been all these years, simple line boring oversize to get a bigger lift cam in the housings. Cool beans! :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying it was a good idea in and of itself. Yep, take out even more material and call it a day, so long as it looks shiny you're fine...

I was just pointing out that your notion about being smarter than everyone was ill-conceived. Obviously line boring may be part of the solution but not all of it.

Any other silly hypotheticals we want to entertain?

? :blink:

I often rebuild items without the parts being prepared beforehand. Take what you will from it man, leave your inference attitude behind.

Line boring doesn't happen without first making them undersized, unless you have oversized journals. Never.

But line boring doesn't become an option until MEASUREMENT occurs first.

Throwing parts at something isn't necessarily the option that should be entertained when a solely subjective, superficial analysis of the condition is all that exists. Like I said, take what you will from it, you choose to be offended, so be it---it's your issue not mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Karl,

Thanks for the information! I am actually almost done reassembly on this motor but will keep those shops in mind when I build my turbo motor, as the turbo motor will not have any shortcuts on it. Such as swapping cam towers. Thanks again for the info!!