HybridZ

70 z - vg30det swap - comments or suggestions for first time z owner?

Nismodealer

Mainly as I mentioned in your other thread will be the Diff. But the 70 also has smaller fuel lines, so you'll be swapping those out, of course you're also going to been a high pressure fuel pump. Is there a reason you're thinking VG30DET over a VQ? The VG is rated at about 255HP, whereas the VQ is ~270Hp NA. Turbo'd it's much higher. The VQ35HR's are built like a brick with the lattice main bearing blocks, not to mention they're a much newer engine. The VQ37 is supposed to be around 350hp naturally aspirated.

As for the 70 vs the other S30's you're not going to see a lot of difference other than the carbs setup and the 280z has heavier duty suspension. They're basically the same otherwise. There's a thread on here somewhere about the differences.

Phar

I see a lot of problems with the 3.5, in fact it's making quite a nice paycheck for me. Obviously rebuilt it would be ok. In fact I can probably get a spare for free. Those things drink oil at moderate mileage. And I'm sure you already know about the timing chain issues. What else do you have going on with your drivetrain to support that motor?

There have been a couple of those swaps done in AU and they are not easy at all. Nothing wrong with the VG30DET engine, it's the fitting it in and all the little problems that add up. Actually one swap had some info posted on this forum a couple of years ago, a blue one with a lot of custom fabrication.

I see a lot of problems with the 3.5, in fact it's making quite a nice paycheck for me. Obviously rebuilt it would be ok. In fact I can probably get a spare for free. Those things drink oil at moderate mileage. And I'm sure you already know about the timing chain issues. What else do you have going on with your drivetrain to support that motor?

As far as the VQ i think you are thinking of the DE engine. as far as i know the HR doesn't have the same oil consumption as the DE

• 3 months later...

That is correct. Wonder if it has the same chain guide issues?

(Firs off, sorry to rez and old thread. I figured someone looking for this information might be benefit from the following.)

All the VQ35s had oil consumption issues:

The HRs were mostly limited to ring issues. That oil consumption is presumably dependent soley on driving style (according to Nissan testing and reports). There was a test done by Nissan and a correlating TSB to test for oil consumption [as well as a recall based on the outcome of that test]. (The recall included swapping out the entire block...)

Nissan took two 350HRZs and two drivers which were to drive the vehicles differently. When they swapped cars the oil consumption issue was greatly minimized on the one and greatly increased on the other...

No chain guide issues on the HR.

The DEs had the oil pres. drop from the timing chain gasket, piston ring issues, timing chain guide problems, and the notorious cat. issue. (Not that I think all of the aforementioned should steer you away from purchasing this engine. In most cases simply watching the oil and oil pressure gauge is enough. The more serious consumption issues were from people not carrying out proper PMCS.)

FWIW - Remember that the VQ35DE had 2 blocks, the FWD and RWD; you will obviously need the later of the two.

Hope this is of help for those who might be looking at this thread.