HybridZ

Sediment from Fuel Tank

Phillip

Hello, I recently drained the gas from my 1978 280z into a white 5 gallon bucket (had to drain it a few different times haha) and encountered sediment at the bottom of the bucket each time made sure none of it got into my gas can.

Here's a picture of it, my question is should I be worried or have the tank cleaned if so how does that work?post-3886-000343400 1329877217_thumb.jpg

thanks!

sorry for the huge picture didnt realize 'actual size' on my iphone was that big lol

Edited by Phillip

All gas tanks have a little crap in them. And, you can't just wrinse it completely out due to the baffles trapping it. If that is all you are getting, you are probably cleaner than most of us. Throw a couple of extra fuel filters in your glove box and rock on. I cut my tank in half and sand blasted the inside to get it clean. Even after washing it several times with soap and water and a variety of solvents, using a vacuum and a tack rag, there is still some sand (scary) in the bottom of the tank. After all that work, my tank still isn't as clean as yours.

If you have the time and/or interest, there is a mild acid (muriatic?) you can buy at places like Frey Meyer which will dissolve the varnish inside your gas tank as well as allow you to remove any sediment in the process.

If you search 'gas tank' and 'varnish' you'll find some threads easily enough. You do have to drop the gas tank, which is a bit of a hassle, but I was pretty astonished at how much vanish and other junk came out of my tank. In the end, instead of having a yellow tint, the inside of the tank looked brand new.

It's a messy and time consuming ordeal, but I'd do it again in a minute for the peace of mind.

I would just use the stock filter in the stock location. Most of the new plastic filters are more opaque than the older plastic ones-they were almost clear. Just hold them up to the light and you'll see any crap in it, especially if the junk you are getting is black like the stuff your picture shows. The glass tubular filters you can buy at AutoZone and the like will let you down and leak. There were glass filters with paper elements used on 60s and 50s car that won't leak. If you want one of those, just go the the parts store and ask for a fuel filter and housing for a '56 Ford-I think my high school car had one, but you really don't need it. If that tank is from a 75 or 76 280z, I'll take it if you want to sell it for $100 shipped. I would put it in my car in a heartbeat.

Thank you all for the replys I think I'm just going to run a 2nd filter before my pump when I drained my gas a couple years ago there wasn't much sediment either so I think a 2nd filter will be enough insurance hehe that and I'm in a rush! Haha my Datsun is a 78 :)