HybridZ

Bumper mounts front and rear, strong enough for "turning lift"?

Jochen

Hi to the nice side of the world.

I am currently thinking about the best possibility to work on my Z, and my wish would be to use something like the "Carlifter" you can see here: http://www.sternzeit-107.de/downloads/Kippwagenheber.pdf (sorry, only german language :wink: ) But the picture speaks for themself I guess.

Now my question is, if the mounts of the 70' 240Z are heavy enough for this kind of jack? Did someone has experience with a system like this?

As my garage is not as huge, i have problems to realize other systems to lift up the body. Also I hyve to work a lot on the bottomside of the car, it would really be nice to lift the Z in this way.

What do you think, could I trust the bumper mounting points?

Thanks for your comments!

You want to do this with the car complete?

I know people use it in the breakdown stage to get all the undercoating off. I'm not sure I would even want to do it with a complete car. stuff would fall out of the center console

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1TSND_ENUS426&q=240z+on+a+rotisserie&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=7chHT_bCAc-Utwf8q4yaDg&biw=1366&bih=667&sei=78hHT8fqGc6EtgfH54SxDg

You want to do this with the car complete?

I'm not sure I would even want to do it with a complete car. stuff would fall out of the center console

Well, thats a point I havent thought about... But I have a Wife what I could ask to carry out the stuff...

Without kidding, yes it would be nice to lift up the whole car, but without tires.

Just four bolts at the back... With 12.9 it should work, but how is the rest of the frame?

Thanks for the google link, good to see that it works basically with the body.

Don't forget about fluids. You'll be leaking oil, trans, diff, clutch, brake fluids if you just put it on the rotisserie and turned it over.

I wouldn't trust the 240 bumper mounts to hold 1100 kg. Definitely pull the drivetrain before you try and spin it.

I spun mine with the drivetrain pulled and the hood and hatch and doors removed, and if you don't have the balance right it is not an easy job. You'll either need one of those crank setups for mechanical leverage, some counterweights to balance it properly, or some friends to help. With a bare shell and the pivot points correct, the car is easy enough to turn by yourself.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your Comment.

The Fluids I had in my Head, but mostly i thought on gaz, I forgot the rest completly...

The Brake fluid I havo to get out in any Case, there is something broken in the last weeks, where we had very low temperatures. I came into the Garage, and both reservoires was half empty, and the fluid was on the bottom :(

Unfortunately I cant see really where it comes from, the brake booster and the man brake cylinder was completely wet all around, and of course, the nice fluid run down the whole frame in this area....

I cleaned up everything, but I can't see what is broken.

Ok, Diff, Trans and Brake I can empty, it is old and has to be changed in any Case.

But my wish would be to let the drivetrain in place, but also I am not shure if the mounts are strong enough....

The lift and rotating I would realize with hydraulik, so I think this should be the smaller Problem. The Brakets I make exact for this mounting points, so they will be in the middle for more easy spin.

Edited by Jochen

Well, if they're strong enough to hoist the entire complete car up, place in a container suspended by chains and binders, and then take an ocean voyage across the half the world I would think stationary lifting wouldn't be an issue...

You may want to look at some of my Facebook Album Pages Jochen...the back garden has captive more than one 240Z suspended in the blue and silver containers as discussed!

(and as an experiment we were going to try stacking the cars in a 'u' configuration... having hoisted the first up, then pivoting it so the wheel side was facing the outer wall...but the dimensions weren't right. So yeah, they can be rotated at least 90 degrees with those as the sole lifting points... But as mentioned balance will be tricky.)

Edited by Tony D

Hey Tony :)

Great to read from you and great hint!

As I am very limited with working space in my garage, this would be the best kind to work at my Babe.

Just before 5 minutes I had it run again with new sparks and distributer Finger/Cap, nice feeling.

First moment it smokes heavy, but after a short while it run good again.

(OT)

As it seems it could be difficult for me, to come over this year to the MSA Show, end of march my second child will come, and my "hobby budget" is very low currently :angry:

Are you at home that time Tony?(OT off)

Edit, can't find the picture you speak from, tooooooo much pictures on FB!

Edited by Jochen

I will plan on it, Frank & Ian bought tickets this past week so I'm told. Arrive April 25, take in MSA, a week of running about, do the Mojave Mile the following weekend, and depart May 7th!

Busy Z time of the year in So Calfor me!

• 2 weeks later...

Pull as much weight off the car as possible. At a minimum pull the engine, trans, diff, and wheels/tires. If it was a brand new 240Z I wouldn't worry as much, but these cars are 40 years old so they are probably not as strong as they used to be.