HybridZ

Just another LS1/T56 Build

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess thats a compliment hehe, thanks! Driving your parents Ford Freestyle around is good motivation for getting your fast car done. People say that with short exhaust cold air can rush back in and warp valves after you turn it off, but race cars and hot rods run straight headers and short exhausts all the time, so I think it will be ok. On a side note, Mat pointed out that I went with the staggered setup on the Rota's and I replied "No I didn't." Come to find out, I have one 17x9 and three 17x9.5s...I will be in touch with Kim, hopefully he makes it right even though I have already mounted tires and drove on them, if not I will be starting a new trend :D . I checked them when I opened them, but I guess I didn't check all four...lesson learned. Always check every wheel. I should have known better because this last summer, my brother ordered some beadlock wheels for his bronco, they needed to be 8 lug wheels. He checked one when they came in and it looked good. We go to mount the tires this summer about 3 months after he got the wheels, the other 3 were 6 lug. He had bad luck that he just checked the one that was good. CHECK YOUR WHEELS!

-Will

Haha I'm 18, I'll be 19 in May. I would definitely say being young helps a lot, especially when it comes to building a car in a short amount of time. But definitely, I'll be around this summer and hopefully working an internship in Little Rock. It would be nice to meet up with another LSx Z car owner. I'll get a driving around clip here in a bit when I have a buddy ride with me.

-Will

Well I probably would have got one today, until I pulled out of stop sign and got on it, shifted into second (Not even that hard, might have been the problem, maybe I let the drivetrain get a little slack), and what happened next sounded about like "Clunk! Bang bang bang." I get out of the car, halfshaft is no longer connected to the stub axle... LS1 + Monster Stage 3 clutch (They weren't kidding when they say this clutch will find weak links in your drivetrain. So far its killed a 10 bolt, a U-joint/8.8 Driveshaft Flange/F-body driveshaft, and now the half shaft). Sheared the outer U-joint on the drivers side, taking the half shaft along with it. Bent the U-joint ear on the yoke up pretty good. Just got one photo below courtesy of FlatBlack.

halfshaft.jpg

Fortunately I will be pulling another half shaft off a parts car tomorrow from a buddy so I should need towed home. On a depressing note, I had to have my buddy's V6 mustang tow me back to his apartments (The place I ended up at wasn't in the friendliest of places). On a happy note, I got an electric fan that Mat was nice enough to give me wired up today, no more worrying too much at stop lights hehe.

I promise more pictures of the actual build process and the car as a whole will be coming eventually along with driving videos.

-Will

I am currently keeping my tires air-ed up to 30psi to allow tire slippage to protect my drivetrain as I still have the STi R180. That way I can have the fun of nailing the go pedal and the weak link is the contact patch between rubber and the road instead of my drivetrain.

Ehh they are 275/40s, don't think more air will help, and in truth they probably have 30 psi in them. I never checked them after the tire shop put air in them. I got the axle fixed though, drives good again but I will be babying it 'til I get back home. Drove it all the way to Devils Den state park today on some back roads. Bout a 30 minute drive with some good curves, wish my brakes didn't suck and I had seats that were bolted in and seat belts so I could have pushed it a little harder. My buddy did take a video on his phone so I will be uploading that shortly.

-Will

Heres the video of me driving on some backroads, camera doesn't do the exhaust justice at all. And its not that great cause I only stayed in fourth gear, but I was too scared to shift for fear of axle breakage out in the middle of nowhere. But anyways here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOLra2XpLU&feature=youtu.be

-Will

You gotta keep the pipes coming thru the hood. Maybe do individual zoomies, or maybe even externalize a turbo ON TOP of the hood. Love it. We gotta take up a collection for a dash cap, either that or you gotta put a spittoon on it for your next video.

Haha I won't lie, the pipes coming through the hood are pretty wicked, but are not practical by any means. I have to put coffee cups and cover up the car every time I park it for fear of rain lol. I have a carpeted dash pad for the dash, but I pulled it off during the swap. I do plan on fixing the dash like many on here have done, but the interior/exterior will have to wait until this summer. And I am not really sure what I plan on doing with the axles yet. I definitely don't want to have to worry about breaking axles every time I want to play around on the street. I've looked around and can't seem to find some U-joints that are actually strong, even the spicer ones made for these axles are weak it seems. I will try and take some more video this weekend when I go home as I plan on beating on it to see if anything else is going to let go easily.

-Will

Plan on a CV swap! It's pricey, but it's definitely the right way to do it.

The adapters to run them are available here for $375. Depending on your specific car you might need to run shorter axles too, which are available here. If you need both there's a group buy Jon runs to get both together for $800 ($150 off normal price), here.

Also look into the Wolf Creek setup using porsche axles, here. Probably a bit cheaper considering you don't have to buy another set ov stock CVs to run the shortened Z31 shafts with. Then again, you might be able to get away with using the stock length Z31 axles...

Ehh they are 275/40s, don't think more air will help, and in truth they probably have 30 psi in them. I never checked them after the tire shop put air in them. I got the axle fixed though, drives good again but I will be babying it 'til I get back home. Drove it all the way to Devils Den state park today on some back roads. Bout a 30 minute drive with some good curves, wish my brakes didn't suck and I had seats that were bolted in and seat belts so I could have pushed it a little harder. My buddy did take a video on his phone so I will be uploading that shortly.

-Will

:blink: that's hilarious. Get that sorted out!

Plan on a CV swap! It's pricey, but it's definitely the right way to do it.

The adapters to run them are available here for $375. Depending on your specific car you might need to run shorter axles too, which are available here. If you need both there's a group buy Jon runs to get both together for $800 ($150 off normal price), here.

Also look into the Wolf Creek setup using porsche axles, here. Probably a bit cheaper considering you don't have to buy another set ov stock CVs to run the shortened Z31 shafts with. Then again, you might be able to get away with using the stock length Z31 axles...

I've only seen a bit of information with the wolf creek stuff. Is there an adapter to use them with a Q45 diff, with 6 bolt outputs? Also, do you think a stock LS1 merits the replacement of the stub axles?

I ordered a master cylinder off RockAuto yesterday so I'm hoping that is the problem with my brakes. And it really isn't that loud just idling or cruising, but if it has load on it then ya its a little loud :D .

As for the axles, I really don't think the stock LS1 requires new half shafts, I think its the U-joints that are the weak link. But unless there is a joint that is up to par, I guess CVs might be the only option. I will say I feel like an import driver already, I'm breaking axles and starting to look at keeping some spare axles in my car at all times lol. I feel like there has to be another option besides CVs since I don't think CV's are actually needed, we just need stronger U-joints in the half shafts. Dropping 500+ on CVs is not something I'm really looking to do right now

-Will