HybridZ

360 big block into 260z???

BenG, Big blocks are a different casting to the Small bocks, bigger all over, bore/stroke and external size. A stroked/bored Smallblock can get close to a stock bigblock, but a Bored/Stroked Big Block can get HUGE displacements...

Just speaking of small block versus big block displacements in general, there are small blocks that are built with displacements equal to or larger than many stock big block displacements. In the Chevy world there are some 454 small block chevys. This takes a special block and components, but the point is it's not displacement that determines the difference between small and big block, but the casting itself.

There's a 360 that's a FE block, which many consider a "big block" as that was the same block as the iconic 427 in the mustangs. But the much more common motor, that the OP might have been referring to is the 460, which came in most F250 trucks and E2/350 vans. They can be found in just about any junkyard any day of the week. They can be bored and stroked up to 545ci. There's also well priced aftermarket aluminum heads and intakes too. Cranks, rods, and piston options are all reasonable too, but what can kill you building these things is all of the little things. All in all, it's cheaper to build up a windsor motor displacement for displacement. The upside is that you get so much more displacement at the buy in price, and you get better rod-stroke ratios from the taller deck. I'd rather have a mild 429FE than a 427windsor myself, unless space or weight was really that huge of a concern.

I've thought for years about building a FE for my Z, but I just don't think it's a great idea. They will produce over 300lbs of torque off idle, and doesn't take much to get them to produce over 400lbs. I've seen guys with 550+ ci getting over 700 ft on engine dynos. That's a lot of torque for a car as small as the Z, especially considering practical tire size limitations. Maybe down the road I'll put one in a Jag, or maybe a cougar.

• 4 weeks later...

In the picture the block is for a 360/390, but just out of personal experience its much easier and cheaper to build a 460 based ford big block. And not to dis anyone, but the most common 460 based stroker is a 557ci using a .080 overbore and and a 4.500in stroke crank. If you get real crazy some of the stock 460 blocks can even go to .130+ overbore. If you want to find out more or see if I'm dropping bull take a look at http://www.460ford.com/forum/index.php I know this mainly from working on pulling trucks and mud drag trucks in central NE