HybridZ

4.6L??

Guest Anonymous

Guest cyrus240z

Honestly the 4.6L aint worth putting in a z unless you got one lying around. if you run one stock your only gonna put down around 230whp with a sohc, and and 270whp with a dohc. then most of the bread and butter mods to the engine are expensive- cams $500 for a sohc, and $1000 for dohc, intakes- only a couple aftermarket ones for the sohc around and they are not worth the money, dohc only custom ones around... for headers all thats really gonna fit is stock...

the only thing thats a plus about the motor is that theres tons of power adder options available... but then again thats true of most v8 engines...

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is kinda old, but I figured I'd throw some more info out there if anyone is considering it. The Mark VIIIs make nearly the same power out of the box as a 96-98 Cobra, the main difference being the method of controlling the IMRCs and lack of a forged crank. Cobra motors are also hand assembled, whereas Intechs (the name for the Lincoln 4Vs) are assembly line stuff. 99 and 01 Cobras make more power than the other NA 4Vs, excluding the 03-04 Mach 1s. Mark VIIIs can be had dirt cheap (I've seen whole cars selling for $500), Cobra motors are typically much more expensive. T45s would probably be fine in a Z, make sure you get an aftermarket shifter with built in bump stops and set them properly. The #1 reason all Mustang transmissions (T5, T45 and 3650s) fail is missing gears or slamming into said gears far too hard. I have a 96 Snake, if anybody needs measurements on anything or needs a few pics of a stock setup let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Quick 4.6 food chain for reference

Mach 1------> 99/01 Cobra-----> 96-98 Cobra-----> Lincoln InTech

• 2 weeks later...

The mod motor is longer, wider, taller and heavier than an 8.2" pushrod motor with aluminum heads. No much reason to ever use one in an application like this unless you just want something different. The cast iron block/supercharged Cobra mod motor is heavier, longer, taller and wider than a 460 Ford! Mod parts are more expensive.....I'd go GM LS long before I'd consider the mod motor; and if I just wanted something different, I'd drop a turbo-Supra 6 in....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Doesn't the Lincolns come with the 4 cam versions too?

Yea they do, as do the the grand marquis.

And someone said something about them being expensive, Baa

A friend and I just pulled one from the local pic n pull for $250.

It was a 4.6 DOHC from an early '90s mercury to replace the motor in his '97 ford F150 stepside.

Diddn't take the thanny though. he's keeping the trucks tranny for the lower gearing in first and second for towing his boat.

Guest Gr8White
Honestly the 4.6L aint worth putting in a z unless you got one lying around. ...

X2.....The 96-98 SOHC Mustang motors are just turds and I think the 215 HP rating was a stretch. I had a friend with numerous bolt ons and gears and couldn't even get it out of the 15.0s with a 5 speed.

Put a 5 liter in it....

• 2 months later...
The mod motor is longer, wider, taller and heavier than an 8.2" pushrod motor with aluminum heads. No much reason to ever use one in an application like this unless you just want something different. The cast iron block/supercharged Cobra mod motor is heavier, longer, taller and wider than a 460 Ford! Mod parts are more expensive.....I'd go GM LS long before I'd consider the mod motor; and if I just wanted something different, I'd drop a turbo-Supra 6 in....

I'd like to see some numbers on this. There's no way a terminator motor weighs as much or is as big as a 460.

I can't help for length(thats never been a Z issue anyway) but I could check width and height. I have a superduty V10 in my truck. These guys are right about the reving thing. The power band just keeps going.

My motor has been easy to work on because of the layout of components. I considered the same swap so 3/4 of my parts would match the truck, but the cost would not be cool.

Was thinking a 5.0 but it might be time to start looking at newer tech.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen anyone mention it, but the police cars, Interceptor crown vics are also 4.6 liters. Having driven many, some with over 100k miles, these things take the most abuse I've ever seen and they still run good. I imagine they'd be pretty powerful in a light car. These crown vics go cheap at auctions all the time. I want to put one of these in my 50 Ford F-1 one day.

• 1 month later...
Honestly the 4.6L aint worth putting in a z unless you got one lying around. if you run one stock your only gonna put down around 230whp with a sohc, and and 270whp with a dohc. then most of the bread and butter mods to the engine are expensive- cams $500 for a sohc, and $1000 for dohc, intakes- only a couple aftermarket ones for the sohc around and they are not worth the money, dohc only custom ones around... for headers all thats really gonna fit is stock...

the only thing thats a plus about the motor is that theres tons of power adder options available... but then again thats true of most v8 engines...

I dont agree that they arent worth putting in, 4V's are great motors!

They are very strong and respond well to mods, the 99+ C heads are even better, the best heads being the 03/04 Cobra/Mach1/Marauder heads. Now the BEST OF THE BEST heads are Ford GT or GT500 heads with an FR500 intake to do a FR500C - NOW THATS A GREAT COMBO!

The FR500C

M-6007-R50.jpg

As far as cams go, there are MANY companies out there that make cams and valvetrain parts for these motors. One of the best and more well prices is the FR500 High Lift cam kit which gives you everything you need to rebuild your heads with high perf, high revving, high lift parts.

This kit ranges from $1100-1500 depending on the seller.

camkit.jpg

Now as far as headers go, you could probably get away with shorties just fine, I know JBA has a nice compact design.

jba330213.jpg

4V's really wake up with LT's though and the only way to use those would be going with a custom header design.

You can buy a header mock up kit from a few places, this photo is of a product from icengineworks.com/

featuresoptimize.JPG

There are several carb designs out there and even a couple guys on ebay that will fab up a sheetmetal intake for about $800 for ya. SullivanPerformance.com is a great company that can get you the intake you need. Sullivan offers cast aluminum intakes for $669.

46_carb5.jpg

Now as for weight and dimensions, the DOHC 4.6L is not a very hefty engine when you think about it. Coming in at only 425lbs you can compare next to the LS1 which ranges from 430lbs to 497lbs.

Dimension Specs: Credit to SullivanPerformance.

EngineHeight.jpg

Hope I could help shed some light on such a wonderful engine. :D

-Eric-