HybridZ

If you have to do it all over again....

I wouldn't have turned down the goddamned offer for the 432 to swap even-steven for my 73 240Z without a driveline!

I could sell it now, buy a restored Z-Program car, and make two or three different run of the mill Hybrid Z's!

<EDIT> I just realized I could sell it, PAY OFF MY HOUSE, and make three or four run of the mill Hybrid Z's in another scenario... Cut two of the run of the mill Hybrids out, and I'd have a tropical vacation home for the money as well as no mortgage.

Turned it down at $3200 and instead bought a 75 Fairlady Z for $2400. Later, after getting a US Market Z, the same car was offered to me as an even trade.

That mistake will not happen a THIRD TIME should the opportunity present itself! :angry:

Edited by Tony D

If I had the $ to afford it I'd love the VR38DETT. That would be an AMAZING swap engine. Instead I've got my budget and the in long process VQ35HR.

OMG! Tony-D, you'd had 2 occasions to get the 432?? Pay off the house with one? Wow... I'd call that rare...

Pharaoh

The same car was offered for ¥1,000,000 (at the time, $3200) and I passed since I could get an S30S for $2400 that had a 2 year inspection on it.

Later the eventual buyer of that 432 approached me to swap my 240 Tub/Chassis for the same car. At that time I would have done it, but I'd already committed shipping paperwork to Uncle Sugar and swapping VINs was not something to do!

Had I gotten that car, right now it is worth considerably more than both mortgages and the project costs for builds on three cars given my stock of shells and parts in the yard!

<EDIT> as Alan has mentioned in the past, 432/GT-R guys are pretty close, exchanges happen off the books before outsiders even know the car might be on offer. And this car was no exception. I knew the original owner, he sold it to the second owner who was a personal friend. That guy had it on open offer forever, and another friend of the original owner bought it, and offered it to me. As is typical of a 432/GT-R exchange TE original owner offered me the entire stash of parts for the car---rocket boxes of cams, full mechanical FI, and even a spare engine! It was more than just the car itself.

Thinking about it now hurts even more... Like I said, that won't happen again!

Edited by Tony D

I'd go with an LS1, the swap into my rx7 was practically effortless compared to the L28ET into the Z. My 'ET swap was complicated a bit by buying a bum engine that was supposed to be good, and fighting with the MS for a year, maybe after I get to drive it while running properly I'll change my mind. But cost wise, I could have had an LS1/T56.

The LS1 swap was so easy, bolt it in, pull useless wires out of the truck harness, build an exhaust(this was the hardest part), plug everything in, then burnouts happened.

I hate to say it because I have so much work into the Z, but I prefer driving the rx7. If I did it again, it probably wouldn't even be a Z.

I hate to say it because I have so much work into the Z, but I prefer driving the rx7. If I did it again, it probably wouldn't even be a Z.

Ouch!

I loved the GeeWizz factor of my VG30ET swap, but for what it cost me, I could have had a nice ls1 with a/c and forgotten about it and just drove it.

I may have the opportunity to "do it again", so I'm considering my options, and will not rush into something. For the time being, I'm still playing outside of the Z car realm.