HybridZ

How did you get the filler neck back on the gas tank?

When I put mine in, I put the filler neck on first and then used my little brother and a jack to get it up into place. You can try to heat up the rubber a little and then it should flex a little more and slide on. If not, use alot of PB Blaster or WD40, and use all of your body weight to try to get it to slide on. Good luck 2thumbs.gif

dpuma8,

I had serious trouble with mine, though my situation maybe a little different. My filler pipe was fine when I changed for a new tank, but restoration 18 months later(which took a few years) I could not get it back on. I think mine had shrunk, so there was no way of getting it back on. I had to take the filler pipe off the car, hit some heat, push it on the tank (off the car) and leave it for a few days so it retained the size. Putting it back on after that was easy. The other way, is buy a new pipe if you can afford (are avail.)

Good luck

Yeah, they harden quite a bit over time. I just replaced mine because it was cracked. It had hardened so much I had to cut it out of the car. I can't imagine trying to stretch that hardened plastic/rubber over the filler neck.

Yeah, they harden quite a bit over time. I just replaced mine because it was cracked. It had hardened so much I had to cut it out of the car. I can't imagine trying to stretch that hardened plastic/rubber over the filler neck.

Well once you heat it up it becomes flexible again making it easier to fit it over the end.

Apply a small amount of grease on the ID of the filler neck and OD of the tank nipple. Hang the tank from straps loosely, just before the tank and the filler neck are engaged. Put a floor jack underneath the tank with a wide piece of wood to spread the load. Jack up the tank while holding and twisting/wiggling the rubber filler. Be careful you can crack the filler neck if you put too much load on it, especially if it's hardened.

Whew! I got it on but not ALL the way down. I didn't have a torch to get it heated and pretty much everything in my little town is closed on Sundays.

I put motor oil around the neck of the gas tank and after some more tries, I was able to slip the rubber neck about 70% of the way. I tightened the clamp an it seems like it should work.

Hopefully my oil as lube method won't screw anything up. It won't.........right?