HybridZ

280zx brake upgrade- gauging interest

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as a rotor that slips over the hub adding 1/4 inch of thickness, I'm all for it(You could sell the 1/2 inch longer Quest van wheel studs with your kit). If it's a newer easier to find rotor that is off the shelf, that would be even better. With your kit, are you considering the S12 and S12W calipers like the S30? it would be nice to have a lighter aluminum caliper, though. Even a good twin piston would be OK.

Edited by aarang

OK thank you for your input. right now i'm trying to find a rotor that will mount to the back of the hub. then i'll start thinking about the calipers i want to use. i am leaning towards the Toyota caliper, maybe something with larger pistons than the s12 caliper. i don't want to use the 300zx caliper since the supply is running low, and i don't want to run into any problems in the future.

I am looking for a brake upgrade for my z and I am running the stock turbo 15's on it and would like to keep them

Slotted stock size rotors and performance pads aren't sufficient for your application?

Just curious...

Ok I have mocked up a kit that will work for all the requirements we have been speaking of. There is one slight problem: I went over the desired price. It looks like the kit is going to cost somewhere around $630. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is what I’m using:

Rotor: 11.2 inch diameter, 19mm thick, made to fit behind the hub (stock position)

Caliper: pretty large Toyota 4 piston caliper with 4x 43mm pistons. (Much larger than most wilwood calipers)

Standard pads, custom made brackets, custom made spacers to move rotor back for more clearance, steel braided brake lines, necessary hardware,

This kit has completely satisfied one of my most important requirements, which was to have plenty of clearance. The caliper does not stick out much past the hub surface, I think it's less than 15mm, but I didn't check today since it's raining. I think it should even fit under 15 inch stock wheels. Hopefully.

So let me know if you guys think it's a good kit for the price. Or let me know what your opinion is. If it's not positive then please let me know so I can go back to the drawing board (which I don't mind to do)

If you could please clarify a few things:

1) Is that price for all 4 wheels?

2) AT 19mm, I assume a vented rotor?

3) I apologize for not researching, but are performance pads available on the open market for the calipers?

thanks!