HybridZ

Price for rb26dett?

MrCleburn

I just called jdm motors here in Arlington and they quoted me around 3k for a complete rb26dett with rb26 awd trans. Comes with everything (uncut wiring harness ecu and all the goodies). Does that price seem legit? This place being local and not having to deal with shipping is a plus. Also if something was wrong with the motor being local it would be alot easier to get that taken care of. Just wondering if there was maybe a better deal out there I should wait for?

-Pat

Local is nice because you save freight. Not sure what your application is, but if you plan to put the engine into a rear drive nissan you will also need an RB25DET transmission. I paid $2000 out the door for a R33 RB25DET. The RB26 is far harder to come by, so $3K seems reasonable.

Bonk

Thanks guys! The motor is going into my series one 240 and will be a 2 year project (I hope not longer lol). I was also just thinking is there gonna be a sales tax on a used motor? If not that would be a hell of alot cheaper than ordering from anywhere and having it shipped. I actually thought about getting an rb25 just for the simple fact of the tranny, but an rb25 isn't my dream motor. I will just have to dish out the extra 800-1000 for the rb25 trans. I will be starting up a build thread for the car soon, once I start ripping it apart.

-Pat

3K is definitely a good price. When I was looking for one everyone told me it would cost more like 5K but I was willing to wait around long enough for a deal to surface and actually got the RB26 + RWD tranny for 3K. I'm surprised you can get one that cheap from a dealer in TX.

I'm not sure how easy the RWDs are to come by on their own, but the local nissan dealer told me they could still import a brand new one for $1500, I imagine they're fairly plentiful then. If mine didn't come with the tranny though, I'd have my eye on a TH400 conversion, although you'd be looking at more like $2500...

Ignitor? Yeah getting the mafs is good, they aren't the easiest to find. If you're getting a jdetro or something it won't matter though...

Mine was missing the mafs now that I think of it. That said, I did sell the awd oil pan, a/c compressor, and power steering pump for $100 each.

Either way, the installation cost outweighs the purchase price. It doesn't seem like it would, even in hindsight, but all the little things add up. I kept every receipt and somehow it nickel and dimed it's way to about $4500.

I figured about 10 grand for my project but I am sure it will end up being more than that. I plan on keeping everything stock for the swap of the rb26 so I can just get it running with the stock ecu and everything. There is a place in canada that sells an rb26 with an rb25 tranny for 4k shipped and everything. In the long run I think this is gonna be the best route for me. Its not local like this other place is but they have what I want and they still have a warranty. I also don't know what I want to do yet. I can't drive but 1 vehicle at a time and right now I can drive a different one everyday of the week. I need to start selling stuff and quit buying! I will be making a f/s thread soon with ALOT of parts. From F54 blocks and p90 heads to z32 parts. I also have rust free fenders doors and rear hatch for s30. I need project funds!

-Pat

JIS is not the only place that sells JDM engines in the Dallas area. Try JDM Engines Corp in Richardson. Last time I was there, they had racks of RB25 and RB26's. I think I counted about 30 of them. You can alao hand pick your motor. I got my RB25 there and the motor looked brand new inside and out.

They also have a lot of other Skyline parts, like suspension and rear ends.

Ya I talked with rb26powered through pms and he explained the differences and everything to me, and told me his dealings with the canada jdm companies. I found those 2 places around the dfw area that imports them. One is in Richardson and the other right down the street from my house. Is there a way to tell what year the motor is from? I read that 92 and above they fixed the problem with the crank. What do I look for to tell if its a r32 or r33? I plan on going to check out what the 2 places have this week sometime and making a purchase by the end of this month.

Thanks for all the info :)

-Pat

Edited by MrCleburn

There are some threads on here that outline the differences some plugs are different colors and the R33 oil cap has a single raised straight knob running down the middle vs. R32 has multiple indentations around the edge. The only surefire way though is to check the number on the motor. Above a certain number and you have an R32 with the improved crank or you have an R33. Don't remember the numbers but search here or Skylines Aussie and you'll find what you need. Determining the exact year may be a little trickier.

The fan blades are curved on the R33 vs strait on the R32. I found this tid-bit, even though it's not much help unless you know the prod. date...

"The Oil Drive problem was fixed by Crankshaft with part #12200-05U02, which was introduced in Feb of 93. Therefore, any R32 GTR produced in/after March, 93 was fixed,

while those produced in/before January, 93 were not. Those produced in Feb 93 were on the border so they could be fixed or not."

So I have been searching alot and still can't really find a reliable block number that started using the new crankshafts. I read in one place that it started around 044081A or really close to that number. I have been searching on ebay and other places to check out the fan blades. Just to verify here are some links of the motors I have been looking at.

This one is the one I was looking at from canada cause it came with the rb25det trans. The fan blades on it are straight so would this make it an r32?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYLINE-GTR-JDM-RB26DETT-ENGINE-RB26-DETT-SWAP-RWD-RB25DET-SWAP-/270929425818?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f14a6f59a&vxp=mtr

This is one from the place here local in Richardson and it has the curved fan blades and you can see the serial number as they wrote it on the cover. Is that for sure an r33?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-SKYLINE-RB26DETT-AWD-ENGINE-RB26-DETT-2-6L-240sx-180sx-silvia-SR20-/320861435214?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab4d4f54e&vxp=mtr

I plan on driving over there to the place in richardson either tomorrow or wendsday to look at what all they have. Iono if they have a problem with it but I was gonna write down some serial numbers off the ones that look nice. I can post the numbers over on aus site and have it checked by someone with the fast nissan program to make sure exactly what year and everything it came from.

Thank you all for all your help!

-Pat

If you find a motor that you are happy with, be sure to take a long hard look at the wiring harness. Big gash marks exposing fresh wire are not good. Missing harness connectors suck as well. Little things like the stock mechanical boost controller, you will want that when you fist get it on the road.

Check the exhaust studds, one of mine was broken off and had to be drilled out. Not a big deal, but things you want to know before drop down the cash.

Bonk

I actually went to jdm engine corp today over in Richardson. I saw a nissan maxima on fire on the way there, poor car must of had a terrible owner.

They didn't have any rb26's in stock he said. They had a rb25 with trans and everything that I looked at for 1900. Told me it was a series 2 and woman at front told me it was a series 1, so like you said dwarlick they don't really know. It was an r33 series 2 rb25det. Supposedly there getting a shipment around the first of april so I will go check out what they have then. I plan on taking my time and waiting for the one I feel is right. He also told me that he will bundle an rb25det trans with an rb26dett motorset. I didn't ask a price but ill worry about that when he actually gets something for me to look at.

-Pat

Edited by MrCleburn