HybridZ

Luxury Mercedes Benz scam? Need Help

mikedoubleg

Hey all,

I'm having an issue and I would like your wisdom.

A quick background of what I do: I buy used and rebuilt vehicle which I sell overseas for a profit. I mostly deal with Mercedes Benz and BMW.

Sometimes, I get some small issues with vehicles but I do disclose everything to my buyer. I even support them after the purchase when they need parts to be shipped to their location for maintenance.

Now my problem is: upon receiving the car at the shipping yard 2 month after we agreed on terms, the dealer had put more than 5000 miles between the contract we signed where we both agreed on 32,500 miles (actual at signing of contract was 31,566 miles and actual at delivery was 36,700 miles). I gave the dealer $5,000 the same day the contract was signed and pay the remaining balance of $34,500 within a month and a half. There was some small issues with the car such as the ABS and various other electronic gremlins that will need to be cleared by a Mercedes dealer and I would take the cost of this gladly as they are no big deals ($200-400).

I called the dealer/seller of the vehicle and told him I want $2,500 back for the mileage increase. I told him that i have no problem returning the vehicle but he would have to pay for all the shipping fees ($1000 each ways). He told me the difference in mileage according to KBB is $750 which I've dismissed as the car was rebuilt and has a salvage title.

What would you do? Would you send the car back?

The way I see it is I've had 2 months to pay the full balance of the car or I would have lost a $5000 deposit. On that note the dealer had a maximum of 1,000 miles which is more than enough to move the vehicle in a lot for a long while. But 5,000 miles in 2 months is like a rental or a taxi mileage!

To me it seems that the Dealer/Seller needs to pay for that extra 5K Miles. You had paperwork in writing and you didn't get what you paid for. If You feel strongly about what you wanted and what you didn't receive, ship the car back.

Bottom line is its all up to you.

After a good night of sleep...

I've asked $2,500 back and the dealer said he's going to think about it. He would have to pay $2,000 on shipping alone out of his pocket if the car is returned anyway. I've asked for $2,500 back so, I will give a good discount to my buyer without messing with my cut. In my opinion, either I give a discount as an apology or, I tell my buyer something happened to the car and I will have to get him another one.

Now, as a buyer, would you guys buy a car with 5000 miles more than advertised? I do not want to be rude to my client so what would be an acceptable discount?

I'm really torn as I've spent way too much time and energy for this deal and, I would rather have it go through than looking for another vehicle.

Not every deal you do will be a money maker. Get as much money as you can from the dealer (without burning that bridge) and then offer enough of a discount to your client as necessary to make him happy. Its not worth the return shipping and negotiation hassle. Get this cleared up quickly and move on to the next deal. You can use the mileage issue later on when you next negotiate with that dealer.