HybridZ

Honda v6 mated to GM transmission

zgeezer

:mellow:Here's yet another possible furren cur heart transplant for a Z. My brother, the Ford cracker, is poised on the brink of apostasy. He appears ready and willing to fall from grace and embrace one of these. He is in love with his wife, her soccer team moving Honda van, and his "south forty" of early Falcons. This outfit apparently makes gender bending bellhousings that mate the Honda V6 to GM automatic transmissions for a N/S orientation. ... He apparently is willing to sleep with GM if that is what it takes to rotate the Honda v6. Any OooooooDa fans out there?

Scroll down past all the off road action stuff, and check out the N/S front engined Honda in the vehicle and on a stand. This looks to be highly swapable into a Z.

G

Edited by zgeezer

Kennedy engineering makes adaptor kits for nearly any engine to tranny adaption. I'm getting one for my Subaru engine swap using the stock tranny in my 1973 Super Beetle and for around $500 you get an adaptor plate and custom flywheel and hardware, I believe with measurements they can build whatever you want.

That would be a fun project. That is a pretty sick buggy in the link too. Kinda on the same wavelenght I know a place that mates Honda k motors to gm transmission. I think that would be really rowdy. I have personally tune over a dozen stock k motors well over 400 hp with turbo kits and fuel systems. One even is at 525whp on the stock motor and drives the hell out of it.

http://www.mazworx.com/product/drivetrain/enginetrans-adapter-kits/individual-adapter-plates/kseries-to-gm-midplate

I hate to be the ignorant one here, but why should we be interested in putting one in a S30? (other than to say you did it, which is perfectly fine) I'm really no Nissan fanboy, though I'm sure I look like one to many, but the VQ swap can't possible be that much more money, in fact I'd imagine it'd be less, and I see no way in which the honda motor trumps the nissan. People routinely make 500+whp on pump gas in 350Z's (even here in CA with our crappy 91). They're just as light. Just as good/tunable of an ECU. Oh, and it's got better tranny options for us RWD guys :-)

I hate to be the ignorant one here, but why should we be interested in putting one in a S30? (other than to say you did it, which is perfectly fine) I'm really no Nissan fanboy, though I'm sure I look like one to many, but the VQ swap can't possible be that much more money, in fact I'd imagine it'd be less, and I see no way in which the honda motor trumps the nissan. People routinely make 500+whp on pump gas in 350Z's (even here in CA with our crappy 91). They're just as light. Just as good/tunable of an ECU. Oh, and it's got better tranny options for us RWD guys :-)

Easy answer, he believes them to be cheap, reliable, different , and very very light. A modern up to date 60degree vs with a lot of aftermarket support. Although this one is going into a Ford Falcon, It does appear to be very adaptable to an S30. Oh, did I mention that they are very cheap and light, light, light.:P

G

• 2 weeks later...

260hp acura TL and CL engines are all over the u-pull yards here in west palm beach.

But I'd be lucky to get a full motor from a local picknpull for less than $600. They'll want to charge me for the "long block" but then still charge me for the ECU, wiring harness, sensors, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc etc. And there's plenty of local importers that offer a complete running engine minus trans VQ35DE for well under $1k. Now, the Z models with RWD transmissions go for a bit more money, but converting the Honda V6 to RWD isn't free either.

I can see it making a bit more sense for those that don't live within driving distance of an importing yard though. But VQ motors will continue to drop in price. 8 years ago I'd say the Acura engine made a lot of sense, but I still just don't see it in today's market. But that's just me. I'm not going to tell someone else not to do it though. biggrin.gif I'd just make sure they've see the other options as well.

Gollum;

One question, why does any swap make sense? ;)

Want to go down that road? Oh man, it's why I got into S30's to begin with. They're the swap queens! But yea, I get your point and why I won't knock the idea. I just found it curious to spend money on RWD conversions when there's already a perfectly good RWD DOHC V6 platform that's affordable on the market. I think that's the very reason we don't see many northstar conversions. Yes the motors are cheap, but there's just so many RWD V8 options so much easier to do.

If everyone took the easy swap we would all have l28et's ;) some people like to be unique and push the envelope. If no one tried a diffcult or unique swap it would be boring, I'm building a E85 ITB Megasquirt Subaru powered Cali style Super beetle just so it stands out of the large beetle population here, plus surprising some other built car owners will be fun. :D

I think the honda v6 is a good looking motor and would make a fun swap.

If everyone took the easy swap we would all have l28et's ;) some people like to be unique and push the envelope. If no one tried a diffcult or unique swap it would be boring.

I think the honda v6 is a good looking motor and would make a fun swap.

Which is only a couple of reasons why I'm going to swap a previously FWD V6, into my S30.

I currently have a turbo L28, FWIW.

Which is only a couple of reasons why I'm going to swap a previously FWD V6, into my S30.

I currently have a turbo L28, FWIW.

Yea, but we ALL know you're a bit mad.

Then again, HybridZ is kind of like Wonderland, we're all a bit mad here. blink.gif

I only post HALF of my crazy ideas here and people tend to think I'm a bit off already. biggrin.gif

Want to go down that road? Oh man, it's why I got into S30's to begin with. They're the swap queens! But yea, I get your point and why I won't knock the idea. I just found it curious to spend money on RWD conversions when there's already a perfectly good RWD DOHC V6 platform that's affordable on the market. I think that's the very reason we don't see many northstar conversions. Yes the motors are cheap, but there's just so many RWD V8 options so much easier to do.

Hey, I'm glad you saw the light! I agree there are so many other RWD V6 and V8 options out there to choose from: GM covers both V8 FWD and RWD with their 6sp transaxle and LSxxx engines; Ford Ecotech V6 with or w/o pressure are chewing up 1/4 mile times and get incredible gas mileage; and now the newer kid on the block.... actually not a new kid, just the funny nerdish social climber with a really foreign name who thinks RHD V6 or 5 liter DOHC v8's and 4.6 liter DOHC V8s are going to get him some attention or street cred. Ford has already been there and done that and I don't care if the nerd claims 385 or 429 hp. Even the numbers are Ford rip offs. I can tell you that this nerd and his family will never amount to anything. They'll find themselves in some low end junk yard someplace in Nevada and no one and I repeat no one will will even care. What's that you say? An eight speed automatic transmission? Gawd... how "new money" can you get. They copy Ford and now they're so pretentious they steal German ideas. I'd never date one. I hope your kids don't hang out with them.

Gollum, the next time you are in the mood for something different after Friday night rice and beans at Murrillo's, turn left on the freeway and cruise East through Sacramento, take Highway 50 around Lake Tahoe down to Carson City. Drop a few coins at the original Nugget in Carson City and then cruise on out highway 50 East another 15 miles or so. Outside Carson City you will find a Pull A Part or similar lot. Every now and then neat Nissan products appear there and the price is right. If you are a gambling man, continue East of 50 another 3 miles or so. You are looking for Moundhouse. The first signs will be a bridge overpass for the new reconstituted V&T RR, the next sign posts are advertisements on the left for "bunny ranches" of different names... do not go there. Continue a mile or so and on your right, along side one or two other brothels, there are three old school, old time junk yards that have a wide assortment of mostly rust free cars. Along with the dismantled air conditioners, refrigerators, metal construction debris, and old domestic tin, I've seen a lot of Nissan VG engines in Pathfinders, Infinity, and 350Z. Over four years, I've seen two 350z with dual turbos (which I think are VGs) and a diminishing number of S30s. The last time I was there... 2 months ago... I saw only S31s and one N/A S32. As I said, it is a gamble, but it would be a nice weekend shopping trip.

g

G

Hey, I'm glad you saw the light!

Haha, I take it you don't follow my threads in the "other engines" section much. I'm probably one of the MOST out of the box engine idea guys on this board. More than anything else, I was pressing for info on the Acura V6 I didn't know. I figured there had to be a good reason to do it, and that maybe there was some info I wasn't aware of. People are ALWAYS allowed to do whatever swap they wish. I've considered just about EVERY swap under the sun for my Z cars. I've dreamed just about every dream. I even came close to buying a v12 jag as a donor once...

"just because" it always the right reason, but technical background never hurts either.

And thanks for the tips on the hot locations. biggrin.gif

At our local U-pull yesterday, I saw 2 acura 3.5tl engines, 2x H22s, 1x L-26, 5x vg32de, 4x vh45de, 2x lincoln markVIII engines, a billion vg30s, 3 2jzge, 5 LS400 engines, and about 11 northstar motors that looked untouched.

Engines are now $250.00 complete rather than the lower price of just the long block.

Not a single LSx engine has even been spotted at these yards but tons of LT-1 are there.

Of course condition means almost more than the engine type.

Edited by HowlerMonkey