HybridZ

Crunched front end:(

Ohhh uggh! :cry::oops:

Well, only after 2 months of ownership, my son got into an accident on the way to school

He's fine, just a bump on his nose and no one seriously injured. The only damage was to the front end of the Z.

In fact, the truck he rear ended left after making sure my son was OK. The truck was so big and since the Z is so low, it must have just hit the lower part of the bumper and by the looks of the crushed hood, it had some sort of vertical bar on it.

Lesson learned. But, what was a minor project has turned suddenly into a much bigger one, that's for sure.

In the process of taking off damaged body panels, bumper, grill etc to really assess the damage. I was able to drive it home from the accident scene, so engine was basically untouched and wheels cleared enough to make the turns back home. It looks very fixable.

Needless to say, we are in the market for some front end parts. My son is feverishly starting the rebuild process and searching for replacement parts on the C/G etc...

Here's the shots I took after getting her back home and then one shot after her first wash the day we bought her ;)

Paul

post-27130-040060800 1333724970_thumb.jpg

post-27130-033486400 1333725010_thumb.jpg

post-27130-090519300 1333725033_thumb.jpg

post-27130-029298200 1333725053_thumb.jpg

post-27130-076505800 1333725093_thumb.jpg

The structure at the right front will need to be straightened, the upper rad support is pushed back a bit, and the inner support for the candy scoop is definitely affected.

Get the proper measurements and make sure it's pulled back to the right spot, if not, donor structure will be needed.

Overall, it doesn't look too bad, still a shame though.

That is a crying shame. Beautiful Z before the bonk. Sorry.

I have a pair of fiberglass SubtleZ front fenders with the sugar scoops bonded on. I'll give you a good deal on them. If you are interrested PM me. I also have a perfect '77/'78 hood with the Reaction Research vents installed. It includes the hinge assembly. But, yes, I want a lot of money for that one. It's perfect.

I live about an hour from you.

Ouch, how old is your son? Mine is 17 but I have already predicted his accident will be exactly like this. I've actually been collecting extra front end parts for this very reason.

That is one reason he is going to drive it butt ugly until I know he can handle simple driving.

^ LOL so much faith in him. Good call though, I started out with a nice 93 300zx na and my dad trusted me (was 17), I never fooled around, I knew what was at stake. Shame he smashed up the front end but luckily he is safe and the z looks to be in good shape. Just the hood and fender need preplacing hopefully. Im sure now he know's how to judge such a situation, **** happens though. Good luck with the repairs, I hope she ends up more beautiful than before!

Edited by makaofox

Very sorry to hear about your z. Reminds me of when I crashed my 75 280z turbo when a lady on a phone merged into me on FWY not paying attention. Mine went to Z Heaven . Yours does look very fixable. I stay in upland Ca if u need any parts I just pulled the full front end front a 72 240z that was red. all parts are in great shape . Let me know if u need anything thing I will give u a deal.

^ LOL so much faith in him. Good call though, I started out with a nice 93 300zx na and my dad trusted me (was 17), I never fooled around, I knew what was at stake. Shame he smashed up the front end but luckily he is safe and the z looks to be in good shape. Just the hood and fender need preplacing hopefully. Im sure now he know's how to judge such a situation, **** happens though. Good luck with the repairs, I hope she ends up more beautiful than before!

I don't have a father. :(

"some sort of verticalbar on it"=Class 3 Drop Hitch

I always run with mine installed. Poked more than one front end. Best one was the Mercedes SLK that when I felt the "nudge" (in my within 800# of max GVWR Superduty) I knew I was hit HARD: looked back to see a guy on his mobile phone with bog, shocked eyes mouthing "oh ship" or something similar. But he didn't hang up... I walked back to seer hitch centerpunching hit Tri-Point. He was STILL on the phone, saying something animatedly to the other party in the conversation about "I don't know why he was just stopped in the middle of the road!" (The big red light kinda commanded my actions, if not the semi-truck cross traffic...) he looks at me and says to the phone "I gotta go!" hangs up then starts yelling at ME! I asked him if he wanted a permanent Ford Hood Ornament or if we should separate the cars. He's freaking, but says "pull your f... Piece of s... Garden truck off my car!" I am amused slightly and say--"why don't you back up instead, your car is still running, I can jump the bumper if it's stuck!" so he gets in backs up, and successfully tears out most of his grille and detaches on three points an undoubtedly expensive A/C Condensor Assembly. There is "crunching and snapping" involved... He gets back out and now REALLY FREAKS, gets downright abusive and says he's going to sue me. It was at that point I decided to leave. He demanded my information... Wasn't going to happen. "Dude, you PILED into me while i was stopped at a light and you were talking on the phone. Its guys like you that will get laws passed so we cant use our phones while driving! I'm outta here, this is YOUR baby and YOUR insurance problem!" (Prophetically my statement came true...) He chased me up the 55 FWY until steam started pouring out from his hood.

So it COULD'VE been worse! LOL

Edited by Tony D

Same truck, same hitch, guy prangs me on the 215 in stopped commuter backup by the 60 merge. Get out, guy has DRIVEAWAY PLATES from Raceway Ford, which is still in view and is saying "My wife is going to KILL ME!" got a nice round hole in the bumper fascia. I look at him (empathetically) and say " By the time you get out of this you can get on Box Springs and take it back... Ask them WTF they were trying to pull and you didnt notice it but YOUR WIFE DID WHEN YOU GOT HOME!"

Guy went from glum to glee and with that "Eureka!" look on his face now goes "Yeaaaah!" THANKS ME, and waves with a big smile when we separate as he is getting off at Box Springs!

Good to know yours wasn't like either of these incidents. It looks bad, but I've driven one now for 15+ years that got hit worse and just had an Oak Tree, Chain, and a few tugs to get the rad to clear the fan! Some sheetmetal, some paint and a few tugs (maybe) and you're on the road looking good as before!

Sorry about the crash and glad the kid was in no way hurt, but in all honesty it looks worse than what it really is.

The radiator support doesnt look too beat up. Good luck with gettin her back to having straight panels again.

"some sort of verticalbar on it"=Class 3 Drop Hitch

I always run with mine installed. Poked more than one front end. Best one was the Mercedes SLK that when I felt the "nudge" (in my within 800# of max GVWR Superduty) I knew I was hit HARD: looked back to see a guy on his mobile phone with bog, shocked eyes mouthing "oh ship" or something similar. But he didn't hang up... I walked back to seer hitch centerpunching hit Tri-Point. He was STILL on the phone, saying something animatedly to the other party in the conversation about "I don't know why he was just stopped in the middle of the road!" (The big red light kinda commanded my actions, if not the semi-truck cross traffic...) he looks at me and says to the phone "I gotta go!" hangs up then starts yelling at ME! I asked him if he wanted a permanent Ford Hood Ornament or if we should separate the cars. He's freaking, but says "pull your f... Piece of s... Garden truck off my car!" I am amused slightly and say--"why don't you back up instead, your car is still running, I can jump the bumper if it's stuck!" so he gets in backs up, and successfully tears out most of his grille and detaches on three points an undoubtedly expensive A/C Condensor Assembly. There is "crunching and snapping" involved... He gets back out and now REALLY FREAKS, gets downright abusive and says he's going to sue me. It was at that point I decided to leave. He demanded my information... Wasn't going to happen. "Dude, you PILED into me while i was stopped at a light and you were talking on the phone. Its guys like you that will get laws passed so we cant use our phones while driving! I'm outta here, this is YOUR baby and YOUR insurance problem!" (Prophetically my statement came true...) He chased me up the 55 FWY until steam started pouring out from his hood.

So it COULD'VE been worse! LOL

Oh man, you should have stayed for the police. That would have been a fun one! With todays smartphones, this is where recording morons like this would come in handy, though this may have been before their time.

Edited by JSM

Oh yeah, I had just changed my Star Tac for a new Nokia... This was Y2K or just before. I just smiled watching his front end rip off..."expensive lesson" made even more expensive because he just wouldn't accept ant of his fault. Lots of people like that in OC...sad...

That is a crying shame. Beautiful Z before the bonk. Sorry.

I have a pair of fiberglass SubtleZ front fenders with the sugar scoops bonded on. I'll give you a good deal on them. If you are interrested PM me. I also have a perfect '77/'78 hood with the Reaction Research vents installed. It includes the hinge assembly. But, yes, I want a lot of money for that one. It's perfect.

I live about an hour from you.

Sounds good! I'll be in touch. I do want the 78 hood with vents preferably if I can find one and not pay an arm and a leg. Had it on my own '72.

What city are you in?