HybridZ

Series 1 240z Roll Cage Build

No it would have sucked since I already had the plates for the cage in and fully welded in before even doing the main hoop. So didnt have much of a choice. But it was very simple doing it this route. So the next one prob going to do it the sameway.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mirror is probably mandatory no matter what. Window net will be club or run group dependent.

Not at that point yet. Will worry about it when I get there

Last night got the diagonal bar cut and fully welded into the car

769e0111.jpg

Edited by robbs70z

I want you to build my cage when I make my new tub (after I build a 5-bay garage, which is after my wife's pool!). That is one of the nicest cages I have ever seen! I bought an Autopower cage once and I wound up cutting it up. (No knock on Autopower, it was a bolt in, non-custom cage, so I got what I asked for - didn't know what I really needed). I just love the way the door opening has been totally preserved, especially since I will be looking for a cage that will be for a mostly street driven car. I couldn't get in and out of my Autopower cage. Great work! Major-like.

I want you to build my cage when I make my new tub (after I build a 5-bay garage, which is after my wife's pool!). That is one of the nicest cages I have ever seen! I bought an Autopower cage once and I wound up cutting it up. (No knock on Autopower, it was a bolt in, non-custom cage, so I got what I asked for - didn't know what I really needed). I just love the way the door opening has been totally preserved, especially since I will be looking for a cage that will be for a mostly street driven car. I couldn't get in and out of my Autopower cage. Great work! Major-like.

Thanks!!! Unfortunatly though the door opening are going to become smaller. Putting in door bars so it's legal for wheel to wheel racing. That's what I am going to work on tonight

Your horizontal/harness bars appear very low.

Cars must incorporate a main hoop horizontal brace at the

approximate level of the driver’s shoulders but not lower

than the shoulder belt mounting point as described in

section 9.3.19.C.

I've never built a S30 cage with the harness bars that low. They are typically at the 25 degree bend where the main hoop legs go vertical. I don't see how you're going to meet the restraint installation rules with the harness bars in that position:

9.3.19.C.

The shoulder harness shall be the over the shoulder type. There

shall be a single release common to the seat belt and shoulder

harness. When mounting belts and harnesses it is recommended

that they be kept as short as reasonably possible to minimize

stretch when loaded in an accident.

The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and

supported above a line drawn downward from the shoulder point

at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. The seat itself, or

anything added only to the seat shall not be considered a suitable

guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage or a part of the car

structure.

Yeah.... looking at it some more, you won't pass tech with those horizontal braces/harness bars. Even if you run the shoulder harnesses back the STB the horizontal braces still don't neet the rules. I suggest you cut them out and move them up to shoulder level behind the seat.

At John-- Thank you for pointing that out very much. I will cut them out tonight and redo them. I am still very new at this and is one great learning experience.

Will post pics later of the correction so people can also see the correct way.

Got the horizontal brace/harness bars cut out last night and smoothed out. Damn it's easier to weld them in then cut them out and smooth everything out without messing up the other tube work.

Here's the start of the new horizontal brace/harness bar.

Enjoy

59db3a9c.jpg

868c4f08.jpg

You can make a plastic/lexan window that fits into the original frame/track. You cut 2 slots in the top of the window and use 2x 1" velcro straps to hold it to the top of the frame. You don't have to make the extended bottom of the window, just the upper part that fits the opening. You can easily undo the velcro straps and stash the window during an event. A stiffener rib along the bottom will keep it against the squeegee seal even without the inner shell of the door.

• 8 months later...

Well it has been a while. Had my second kid on Sept. 1st. So was very busy for a while. Also bought a new Jeep and had to do some building on it. But I am finally back to my madness. Started doing the door bars tonight. Had to cut the body out for welding access of the cage. Guess thats what i get for making the cage so tight in the car.

Enjoy!

This is why I had to cut the body

DEF6719C-C468-4730-BA94-E2198CD052F1-127

Here is the first design

Just at lower shoulder

E002211F-2959-43E6-9624-22D934533D2D-127

Second option

Lowered the door bars at the seat side a little

over an inch.

Prob going to do this option long as all is legal. I have to double check the rules later before i start putting them in. Still got to hang the doors.

5A5E16D6-4C3E-4E53-985D-864B4C33B547-127

Thanks!!!

Tonight only got yo work on the car for sbout an hour. Got one door bar notched and pre-fitted. Still need to put a slight bend in it to give me a little more room. Tomarrow will hopefully get the othe section mocked up and tack weld everything into place.

Enjoy

72A08AED-27A2-4450-AD6C-9CB5B8015A5D-135

Nice tight notches

8E4E0D6A-B2E4-49C0-82F8-92DB5E6667BA-135

9B51F26E-495B-4A22-90F5-F6E92E2918B0-135