HybridZ

Shielding gas hose

Dershum

After somewhat endless searching of the interweb, I'm at a loss.

I picked up a Hobart Handler 125 from Northern Tool (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200447703_200447703) and I've also gotten a tank/cart/etc., along with a regulator (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345432_200345432). However, I can't find a proper hose to connect between the regulator and the tank.

I tried a 3/4 NPT fitting (carefully) to see if that's the correct size for the inlet on the welder, but it's not the correct size. I'm guessing it's 5/8, but I don't have a 5/8 fitting handy to test it with. Even with that said,I'm not sure what kind hose I would use for the connection, since the regulator side of things has a barbed fitting. I can just unscrew the barbed fitting, and find another adapter, but I'm still not sure what kind of hose I should be using for this. Hobart has a 3 1/2 foot hose with built-in regulator that I could pick up instead, but I kind of feel like an idiot not being able to figure this out. Is it safe to make your own hose for something like this, as long as the fitting are properly sized? It seems like such a simple thing yet I'm having a hell of a time figuring it out.

Oh, and before anyone asks, the manual doesn't specify the inlet size on the back of the welder.

Just make sure you use pipe sealant or tape and turn your fittings in 2-3 turns from finger tight so you don't have any air leaking into your shielding gas.

A big box hardware store should have fittings and tubing that would work for you.

Good luck.

Just make sure you use pipe sealant or tape and turn your fittings in 2-3 turns from finger tight so you don't have any air leaking into your shielding gas.

For starters, many of the fittings for the regulator to the welding machine are usually of a type that have a tapered seat, these do not require any sealant, and if sealant is used on a fitting that does not require it, the sealant could cause leaks, because it may keep the tapered seat from sealing properly. NPT, and similar threads are the only ones that should use sealant on the threads themselves.

Secondly, the shielding gas is at a much higher pressure than atmosphere around the tank, hose or welding machine, so you wouldn't get "air in your shielding gas," you would simply lose shielding, if there was a leak.

I know it doesn't apply here, bit I have to say this after seeing a regulator explode:

Do not ever, ever use any sealant, tape, or any kind of hydrocarbon (oil, grease, etc.) anywhere near a fitting on an Oxygen tank. The high pressure will cause those items to combust through dieseling.

IMHO, I don't use any sealant on any high pressure gas fittings. Just tighten them up and spray with soapy water to see if you have a leak.

After trying a few sizes I dont think it's an NPT fitting. 3/8 fits, but the threads bund almost immediately. Im going to try contacting hobart and see if I can find out what I can use outside of buying their 30cfh regulator/hose combo.