HybridZ

'76 280z gas tank swap to 240z

I'm currently in the process swapping '76 gas tank to 240z. I already have the longer J bolts.

Question : Do i need the filler gas hose also to ease the swap?

As I know 240z filler gas hose are longer than 280z. Is that to compensate due to 280z gas tank are bigger and deeper than 240z?

Nah, you won't need the filler neck from any other car. The one from your 240 will work, at least the one on my 73 did when I completed this swap last month.

Like you said, the J-Bolts need to be longer, and you will also have to consider how to reroute your new vapor lines, since the tanks are different in that regard.

Other side notes on the swap

1. The driver's side gas tank strap will not fit 100% perfectly in the tanks groove, it will be around 1/4'' or so off square.

2. The 280 tank has one less vapor line than the 240z so you will have to eliminate one line.

Here are a couple pictures of my longer J-Bolts and how the rear of the tank fits on the car, using all the original 240z parts.

photobucket-5267-1330742700604.jpg

Notice on the next picture the SLIGHT offset of the drivers side strap.

photobucket-5048-1330742680168.jpg

Best of luck on the swap!

I don't want to appear picky, but knowing the guy in charge of the Pinto Recall Campaign in SoCal, I have to say: if you use those J-Bolts and not the Nissan Blunted ones--reverse the orientation so they hook through the strap towards the BACK of the car, and not the front as shown.

In a rear-ender the orientation shown can cause a tear un the fuel tank.

A small difference mechanically, the difference between potentially life altering disfiguration in an accident. Old Andy, I'd suggest you swap your to that orientation as well. I'd hate to see tragedy from a bad, normally survivable accident. If not for you, for those that will have to (or currently do) care for (about) you!

Edited by Tony D

I don't want to appear picky, but knowing the guy in charge of the Pinto Recall Campaign in SoCal, I have to say: if you use those J-Bolts and not the Nissan Blunted ones--reverse the orientation so they hook through the strap towards the BACK of the car, and not the front as shown.

In a rear-ender the orientation shown can cause a tear un the fuel tank.

A small difference mechanically, the difference between potentially life altering disfiguration in an accident. Old Andy, I'd suggest you swap your to that orientation as well. I'd hate to see tragedy from a bad, normally survivable accident. If not for you, for those that will have to (or currently do) care for (about) you!

Whoops! I can definitely see what you're talking about, thanks Tony, I'll flip those suckers around so I won't have to drive with eyes in the back of my head too!

Cheers!

Best of luck with the install JB!