HybridZ

What did you do to your Z today?

Racer Z

Hmm, glass install. With the help of my girlfriend, we installed the flat class into the rear window of my truck last summer. Let me say I learned a lot. I used the string method and had to start over a few times. My string was the plastic whip from a weed-whacker. Worked very well. Next time I will use some lubricant like WD40 or dish soap. I tried (not very hard) to install the (aluminum) trim after the fact, but stop quickly before I damaged anything. The trim must go into the rubber before the rubber is installed. That was flat glass on my Ford truck, but I think curved glass will be just the same in a Datsun.

Got a Gopro

Gopro'd a bunch of daily driving activities in the Z. I'll try to finagle one to the internet some time.

Sweet. I've been wanting a GoPro but haven't ponied up the dough yet. YouTube seems to be as good as place as any to host your videos.

On the second outing this year after a suspension refresh I took in a local classic car show. I was hoping to see any other Zs in the area, but the closest I got was a 1991 Nissan Figaro. :( I talked to a lot of people who used to have Zs though and the day ended on a high note.

Ladner2012.jpg

Ladneraward.jpg

Stony, your car looks killer .... what were they thinking!

Edited by C Pierre

Monday: Got the new rad and waterpump in the mail on Monday. Proceeded to remove old rad and water pump. Then I went ahead and installed the new water pump and everything was going smoothly until I go to mount the rad, the fit is so bad the mounting holes are completely off. I can't even drill into my frame to mount the darn thing because the brackets are too short in width. Good thing about the rad is (I got it off ebay) they offered free return shipping if it doesn't fit. Bad part is I wasted time waiting for it and have to ship it back.

Tuesday: Checked the old rad (seems to be an aftermarket unit 3 row black w/plastic petcock) Ran water through it and water came out without any clogs. I changed the belt while the rad was out (might as well right?). Then I put the old rad back in and buttoned her back up but it seems the motor is still running hot. Things would be alot easier for me if my temp gauge was actually working (wiring issue). Next thing to do is just to wire an external temp gauge to check the motor temp.

Rewind to why I was going to replace the water pump/rad. My car began to run really hot after I changed my fuel rail o rings. The engine bay would get so hot that my megasquirt relay board would overheat in the engine bay. Also my n42 intake manifold would be burning to the touch (so much that you can't keep your fingers on it). Heck the relays on the relay board were basically burning hot to the touch (another possible point of failure) Also the transmission tunnel would get hot to the point where it could burn your hand. This had never happened before and didn't happen when my temp gauge was working.

Back to the drawing board for now, going to try to get the temp gauge working and then try to trouble shoot the overheating engine bay.

Went by the storage facility and told my '72 "Look baby... I'm just going thru some tough times trying to get everything lined up... the 620 is just a physical thing, I haven't forgot about you and we will be cruising together one day". We cried and hugged, then I shut the rollup door and drove away. [queue melancholy music]

Edited by BenJammin

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much to mine in a while. Life has forced other things to become a higher priority :(

The engine and trans are still sitting on the floor waiting to go back in . . . several months later.

Found a good deal on a trailer (car carrier) to haul the Z to the track with. Managed to drag that home without incident. :) It's been sitting for about 15 years so it needs some work before it's usable.

We finally got the engine back in. After a few mis-steps over the last few weeks we got it in. The intake/exhaust still need to be installed and the alt. and misc. wiring and it should start. With some luck we should have it ready for the Alfa Romeo Club (AROSC) time trial and race at The Streets of Willow in November.