HybridZ

What did you do to your Z today?

Racer Z

Alright! A chance to vent to someone who cares! Probably!

Lost a small socket down in the block while taking my camshaft off and broke head bolt #14 after removing the others by hand. It's my first ever engine rebuild, and it's just going swell. What was meant to be a head gasket change is becoming a complete teardown.

Someone just freakin' shoot me.

Those things happen even to the most experienced.  Instead of being pissed and frustrated, turn it (your view) around into a learning experience.  "I learned so much! :) " is way better than, "I made all these mistakes :( "

We all make mistakes.  Some of us learn from our mistakes.  I keep on learning.  Sometimes I learn the same thing, again and again.  LOL

@ Racer Z: You're definitely right, it's like playing music.. it ain't a race or a contest. This engine's getting rebuilt, whether it likes it or not.

I did check under the frame for the first time yesterday (didn't feel safe climbing under there until it was lifted properly), and found that it was undercoated, and the bit where the undercoat was worn off showed zero rust.

That was a little surprising since it was owned in Michigan for most of its life. So that was a major win.

Not mine, but helped put a 5 spd and 2.8 into a 240. The engine came with a 4 spd. So took the to collar and bearing from the 4 spd and put in the 5 spd. Should have worked right? Could be we didn't bleed the clutch enough, but had no bubbles. I guess we will bleed again, if that doesn't work I guess we will pull the trans.

At least the engine starts up and runs smoothly. Except the plug wires are moved over one spot.

Did the final prep for an upcoming road racing event at Chuckwalla in a few weeks.

• Changed the oil/filter
  • Lubed the four lube points
  • Checked the under-carriage for loose nuts/bolts
  • Washed it in & out
  • Bled the brake for the purpose of getting fresh fluid into the slave cylinders

After that the best thing happened.  We sold an engine block and some other stuff.  I needed the cash and we needed the space in the shop.

I'm in heavy upgrade mode still with a road-race event comin up at Inde Motorsports Ranch, Wilcox, AZ.

Yesterday:

ZX dizzy with MSD-6AL and r100 wires

Todays plan;

Hawk cermic front and Pfield R4 back and new Hawk bleu juice

Coilover springs to 450f and 425r (.8 each corner weight)

Need to make sure it will make the trailer approach

Cussed my car out for 2 days now. Came home from a Z gathering Saturday night to find out my brake lights weren't working (for who knows how long). I've been trouble-shooting the past 2 days and managed to get one brake light to work. Turn signals and hazards work though.

Reverse lights worked Saturday night and did not work Sunday. I'll figure it out but am most likely going to wire up my tail lights to function like the Euro lights (brake and turn signals separate) to avoid having the brakes run through the combo switch though they'll still have to run through the hazard switch.

Those things happen even to the most experienced.  Instead of being pissed and frustrated, turn it (your view) around into a learning experience.  "I learned so much! :( "

We all make mistakes.  Some of us learn from our mistakes.  I keep on learning.  Sometimes I learn the same thing, again and again.  LOL

Exactly.  I installed my rebuilt engine and transmission into my car one time and saw that I forgot to install the rear main seal while the engine was out.  I was even telling myself the day before, all night long, and the morning of the install not to forget the rear main seal!

Cussed my car out for 2 days now. Came home from a Z gathering Saturday night to find out my brake lights weren't working (for who knows how long). I've been trouble-shooting the past 2 days and managed to get one brake light to work. Turn signals and hazards work though.

Reverse lights worked Saturday night and did not work Sunday. I'll figure it out but am most likely going to wire up my tail lights to function like the Euro lights (brake and turn signals separate) to avoid having the brakes run through the combo switch though they'll still have to run through the hazard switch.

Exactly.  I installed my rebuilt engine and transmission into my car one time and saw that I forgot to install the rear main seal while the engine was out.  I was even telling myself the day before, all night long, and the morning of the install not to forget the rear main seal!

I saw your car at the Inland Empire Datsun meet it looks awesome... Good to see more Z's coming to the meet.

I saw your car at the Inland Empire Datsun meet it looks awesome... Good to see more Z's coming to the meet.

Thanks.  I go there periodically, but it was over 5 onths since I was there last I believe.  Everytime I want to go something comes up on that Saturday that cannot be post-poned for whatever reason.....or so my wife says. :)

My sexy beast is out from hibernation , washed/ waxed/ new tires and ready for fair weather fun, and getting her ready for the East Coast 510/DATSUN meet at Summit Point race track  WV in May   :icon6:

20121228 111901

post-36683-0-79199000-1364051369_thumb.jpg 
Edited by PLATA