HybridZ

AFM inlet Size

rhettro74

I have an 81 L28ET in an 77 S30 And am out of town and can pick up some intercooler and other intake pipe and hose. I measured it once but can't remember if its 3" or 2.5" I am pretty sure I want to run 2.5 Inch intercooler pipes but the connection to the AFM is what I can't remember, I don't have the stock Aircleaner to AFM boot.

Also curious should I just use the AFM Boot off of a 77 s30 and connect to that is it the right size?

post-1843-008080700 1334953409_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Edited by rhettro74

• 2 years later...

New to Turbo cars and am putting an 83 Turbo into my 78 280Z, I want to keep the AC and am installing an 2.5" intercooler, 

I have no workable space to install the AFM easily in the engine bay so I am going to have to mount it in front of the radiator, condenser, intercooler and oil cooler.

I will have to extend the AFM wiring and fabricate some sort of mount.

My question is I now know I will have to source the 80MM hose and reduce it down to the turbo outlet size but I am not sure what size hose will fit the turbo outlet and if I should run such a long length and a 90 degree elbow and then the 80MM adaptor.

Is it 2.5" or closer to 66MM?

I just did a web search for T-3 inlet diameter and got 3", 2.25" and 2" ok so what size is the stock unit???

Edited by gvincent

Thanks Tony, i was going to buy some pipe and couplers but will look for a Z31 inlet duct also.

I would like to confirm that the stock inlet size is 60mm as I can't find a definite yes answer anywhere and can't get to the car until more snow melts :)

I have been trying to take a crush course on turbos here at HybridZ and always seem to come to posts with you as the expert in all these posts I have read so far, I'll be reading more and will start posting some questions once I feel I have gained a little knowledge on the turbo swap

Thanks again

Greg

It wasn't the boot, it was the L28ET inlet boot to the turbo inlet, to the Z31 plastic pipe (you melt the unnecessary fitting on it to seal it) it goes through the firewall nicely...you can then adapt with a piece of straight hose coupler. I think on a 280Z you would need to remove the stock AFM bracket to mount it because it's hard pipe and it won't mush around it. The plastic pipe and AFM can be secured to the chassis with anti-vibration mounts like on the AFM as they are essentially one piece if you use the straight rubber coupler. There was a guy on eBay selling "Hump Hose" which is the engineering term for the bellows. A Hump Hose on each end of a rigid pipe will let you have movement relative to the pieces it connects. If you wanted to get fancy, those Hump Hoses are available and could look real nice between sections of aluminium straight piping as you can order colors. I ordered Blue and Black for my Suzuki. My parts should be in Manila Port today...and the second shipment tomorrow. Likely delivered to the house next week...but I'm not there. :(  Most of the stuff I need to make my SS Exhaust, and FMIC for the Turbo Every Van. No more bodged and hacked crap from local manufacture and dubious origin... :lol:

OK, I removed the AFM, the rubber mother boot from hell with all the other hose connections and the J shaped pipe from the outlet of the turbo to the throttle body on my 83 280ZX stock turbo mounted in my 78 280Z

I measured the outlet side fairly easily at 2-1/8" which is about 54mm

I tried to measure the inlet but it is still hard to see the tape measure but I am getting 2-3/8" or about 60mm

Do these number sound right?

I really want to buy some pipe and fittings can somebody confirm these dimensions?

Does anybody have a stock turbo set-up out of the car they cam measure?

I am probably going to buy some 60mm pipe and fittings to get me through the front hole and use a 90 degree elbow then go from 60mm to 80mm to attach the stock AFM, I'll have to extend the AFM wires

Tony D, I already removed the stock 280Z AFM mount knowing there was no way I was gong to fit the turbo AFM in the engine bay

OK, I removed the AFM, the rubber mother boot from hell with all the other hose connections and the J shaped pipe from the outlet of the turbo to the throttle body on my 83 280ZX stock turbo mounted in my 78 280Z

I measured the outlet side fairly easily at 2-1/8" which is about 54mm

I tried to measure the inlet but it is still hard to see the tape measure but I am getting 2-3/8" or about 60mm

Do these number sound right?

I really want to buy some pipe and fittings can somebody confirm these dimensions?

Does anybody have a stock turbo set-up out of the car they cam measure?

I am probably going to buy some 60mm pipe and fittings to get me through the front hole and use a 90 degree elbow then go from 60mm to 80mm to attach the stock AFM, I'll have to extend the AFM wires

Tony D, I already removed the stock 280Z AFM mount knowing there was no way I was gong to fit the turbo AFM in the engine bay

Going to order the 60MM fittings and pipe, I hope its the right size