HybridZ

S30 in Targa Tasmania *video*

260DET

From 1:12. There are two early model classes which combined are Classic Outright which is where the Z car is coming second to the later model Porsche but still beating lots of other P cars. But two days to go so fingers crossed, Z uses some US made aftermarket parts, driver is a member of our Z club.

Day three, Z can't match the P cars straight line speed but still coming second in Classic Outright :)

Edited by 260DET

Final results in Classic Outright. Porsche 911 Carrera first, Datsun 240Z second, similar P car third, similar Datsun fourth. Why oh why did Datsun not bring out a sports special L engine 240Z etc like Porsche did with the Carrera? They has the parts in their bins.

And it did not have the L engine nor other Carrera like bits, brakes, wide wheels.... So, useless.

Better go back and read the FIA Homogolation Rules for the 240 before making such ignorant statements!

That statement is so colossally deprived of cogent thought I don't even know where to start enumerating the shortfalls in facts it transgresses!

BTW: quantify "bit"... As by my definition, a mechanically injected Z432R making 345+BHP sounds like it has "Bits" galore... And I might say that Slide Valve Injection sure as hell looks like the Kugelfischer setup on old P-Cars...

Those Four-Pot Calipers, LSD CV Jointed Rear Running Gear, specially thickened structural stressed members, glass fibre doors, bonnet, boot and Perspex all 'round straight off the production line apparently don't qualify as "Bits comparable with Carrera Bits"... Differential cooler, close ratio transmission, radio delete, special sound deadening delete, lightweight door hinges...

Let's just say some people THINK they know about racing Z's but in reality they don't know jack!

Edited by Tony D

OH, but before someone parses the fact someone said "L-Engine"... I'll note the L-Engines came with ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION and not the mechanical version used on the Z432R. And either the crossflow LY or Non-Crossflow FIA 6-Cylinders were a considerable improvement over the E31 and E88 heads used in public cars...though suitably prepped by competent builders should be handily spanking comparably period-correct prepared P-Cars!

I mean, they got a 3.0 EFI engine making 230 PS weighing something like 2400#...check out Group4 Specs--that was where the car was built to work. The Datsun 2.4 was a 330HP setup in carbureted form... Using a 74 or 75 would allow the 2.8 and similar power with more forgiving torque.

And that's the conventional engine...WITHOUT the LY or FIA speciality heads!!!

Edited by Tony D

Tony, you obviously do not have a clue about what I'm talking about. I referred to the Carrera which was an off the showroom floor 'sports special' model and then said that it was a pity Nissan did not do a similar version with the S30, which they did not. All this in the context of cars and versions and bits which are eligible and available for a particular event where obviously there will be restrictions on what can and can't be used, particularly when a car was not available off the showroom floor with such parts standard for that model. Nothing to do with FIA homogolation papers for one particular version of the 240 for a particular purpose which incidentially I am familiar with.

It's quite incredible that you infer that the people who go to the trouble and expense of building and driving cars for these events don't bother checking out what they can and can't use, I will restrain myself for commenting further on that. As for the 432 does anyone seriously think that someone would enter one of those, assuming one was available, with the attendant risk of wrecking it? Bugger me, look at the videos, cars get wrecked in these sorts of events all the time so you have to be able to replace bodies, engines etc within some sort of budget.

Sorry I started this topic now, thought it might attract some intelligent or at least informed comment and be of general interest to the S30 people.

Show me a single CarreraRS 3.0 that went to a track for competition in Europe that wasn't fully prepped to Group 4 Spec...

And EVERYTHING to do that prep was available to anybody who put the parts on the order form and laid down the money on your Datsun. In some instances Nissan installed these parts before the owner ever took delivery of the car...or before the car ever made it to a dealership.

That sounds like the same as a Carrera RS 3.0 to me: taking delivery of a race ready car directly from the factory special Homogolation workshop...

The only difference between a Carrera RS and the Datsun parts was the car was assembled in Europe for Homogolation and sold that way, whereas because of agent agreements Nissan made them as a "to order" basis.

And I didn't infer the people competing didn't research or know, that was limited to your comment.

Having watched original GT40's of LeMans vintage go into a wall three years in a row, only to be reconstructed each year for the next competition...

And having personally assisted with the campaigning of a 67 Shelby Cobra Coupe with LeMans provenance (and valued at €3,000,000+) I would think a serious competitor wouldn't hesitate campaigning a $250,000 432... They do regularly in Japan.

What it costs is a matter of scale in some instances. Comparatively the Gallardo was worth a bit more than any 432 might be... Original or Replica!

Note as well I made mention that the specialty heads were not necessary to get comparable competitive power handily with production bits straight from the showroom floor. Which is what I thought this was about all along.

Edited by Tony D

It seems to me that if the competition is that close (Porsche, Datsun, Porsche, Datsun), then the rules and availability and whatnot are all working reasonably well. I think that in the Datsun spirit those teams should just buckle down and focus on incremental improvements and in making the car faster. :)

Dave