HybridZ

Quick Lesson for Paint Quantity

tfreer85

So I've been starting the body work on my 240z. Got everything sanded down, had all my supplies, taped off the garage, the car etc. Finished wiping it down with degreaser, go to pour my Acrylic lacquer primer to find it only pours out enough for one pot...A slight confusion sets in, it feels full, it was sloshing around like full with the cap on...So I grab my flashlight and peer into the canister, its 75% solid, the other liquid was already in the pot...angry.gifangry.gifangry.gifangry.gif I bought this primer appx 5 years ago, thought I had the lid tight enough. I bought in bulk and it bit me in the ass. Moral of the story, only buy enough paint to get your project done and don't store it for a long time, at the very least don't open it until you're ready to paint...Unless you want your Z looking like this....(then again what did I expect from 5-year old primer blink.gif)

12f14598.jpg

d6a208f4.jpg

Totally rock solid or mushy? I've bought brand new cans of primer that were like that, and I have had to stir for a good long time before it was useable. I actually used some primer that was a few years old recently, but I had to stir the hell outta it. The solids in the primer sink to the bottom over time and it has to be mixed back in.

Though this is with urethanes, don't know about the lacquer.

I had some that did that, was rock hard on the bottom.

Yeah, its definitely a gonner. Opened up the can the day after this and its no longer mushy, hard as rock. I'm not going to waste the lacquer thinner on it. Time to buy some more weeee!!!

Good. I see some low spots anyway. Sounds. Like you put alot of time & effort into painting. You should get the body work best you can. Good luck!

Thanks Rusty. The goal was to get two coats of primer, guide coat, body filler, high spot / low spot repair. Then repeat, till smooth. I imagine I'll have to do this sequencing at least twice, if not three times to get my desired finish.