HybridZ

Project Finally Leaves the Garage!

13281937.jpg

f0629c4b.jpg

Well, basically youd have to have known me for atleast the last 8 years or so to understand why this is such a big step... I bought this car some 10 years ago when I was 11, we (my mom and dad) drove it for a little while and did mostly safety fixes along with some rust removal. We had are ups and downs for a few years after that, it sat for awhile torn apart and then I got back into it probably early high school. Ended up painting it junior year and doing most of the interior that year. Following summer I worked on the suspension and then two summers ago I tore the engine out and started to swap in a turbo engine from my 81 ZX. Plans changed as it went in, ended up with EDIS, MS, a holset and some less then optimum wiring but it seems like everything will work as is. I learned a lot about wiring and will definitely be redoing it this year sometime. Last summer I was gone for an internship so I made an effort to work on it this school year. Got it to start within the last month or so and then yesterday, I got the wheels and tank in to where I could move it outside. Anyways, this is the first time that its been outside for a couple years, and the first time its moved outside on its own power in several years. Today I drove it further then it has ever been from my house in 8+ years probably which was a whole 300 yards or so. haha. Either way, it runs kind of crappy right now and Im working on getting it running before I graduate... from college. I was supposed to drive it in high school. haha

Anyways, I graduate in a few weeks and will be moving to Seattle for work so hopefully this will be in good enough shape to get over there, it might take a miracle to drive it there but who knows, I have a couple months till I actually start work so I have a little room.

Lastly, thank you hybridz for all the support and help. It has been priceless throughout the process and It would have taken 15 years without you guys. Haha. I am by no means done asking question, probably just the opposite. :) Thanks again!

Edited by Challenger

Congratulations....I have "watched" your progress here over the years. Having built my car back up from a rolling shell, I can share your excitement on sitting behind the wheel for the first time after years of hard work.

Thanks guys! Its not "up and running" how Id like quite yet. Im fighting megasquirt and possibly EDIS... There seems to be a miss throughout the RPMs (ive really only revved it parked) At this point Im just trying to just get it running smoothly on low load conditions.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/106480-new-ms-install-running-rough/page__view__findpost__p__996068__fromsearch__1

Let me know if you have any input. I graduate May 13th and I would be so happy if I could drive this to school, I better get working! haha

Holy shnikeys, when did hell freeze over?!?!

Man derek, you're making me feel bad. Now I really need to get off my ass and get my Z on the road.

For those unaware, part of what's so awesome about this whole story is look at Derek's join date. Derek is among the few young'ins actually getting it done and doing it well. His car isn't over thought and he didn't get too deep in waters he couldn't manage. And best of all he asks intelligent questions and respects the answers given. Unlike many of the younger people that show up, stir the waters, then disappear into the void, he's stuck around and really proved himself. Mad props yo.

Thanks guys!

Good news today. Friday and last night I went to drive the car and it was running really lean, popping and backfiring. Both times I just parked it and came back later to it running pretty good... BUT it is running pretty good and against my better judgement I was able to get get into boost a couple times... got up to 5 psi which is as far as I can tell, plenty to get me in trouble, it really felt like it was gonna take off. I cant imagine what it will be like tuned! I think it was at 11:1 when I hit 5psi and 30ish degrees advance. Im dont think the 30 is safe but I wont be driving it in boost more till its tuned (and I make sure it wont go much past 5psi) Anyways I took it further than its ever been away from the house, a whole 3.5 miles away!! Wooo! Also just got back from a photo shoot with my friend so I should have some more nice pictures of the car.

70927ef2.jpg

Edited by Challenger