HybridZ

240z eliminating evaporation tank.

I'm in the process re-doing my fuel system converting to '76 gas tank (doing L28ET conversion) and debating whether or not I should do remove the evaporation tank. I have read some people don't have an issue doing it. I'm not keeping the car original. I like the idea because there are less piping/hose to replace, and its much simplier/cleaner. What do you guys think? What are the pros and cons?

Don't do it!

I removed the EVAP system on my 240z when I switched to EFI by drilling a hole in the top of the filler cap and running an overboard dump tube down to the ground "just in case". It actually wasn't working before that, and it's a miracle that the pump wasn't cavitating constantly.

Well, If you fill her up to above 3/4 tank, you run the risk of fuel spewing out both the overboard dump tube and the side of the rear quarter panel under the gas cap as the fuel heats up after running the engine for a while.

Never underestimate the rate at which gasoline expands when heated!

Think about it, gasoline stored in underground tanks is probably around 50*F on most summer days. After being circulated through your fuel system with a hot engine, it is going to soak to around 100*F minimum.

So the risk a fire and brimstone is the most obvious reason not to do what I have done, and am going to undo shortly, but there are other side effects. The constant stench of raw fuel is the second worst.

I should add that the primary reason I am not running an EVAP system is because for some odd reason, my car came with a non-emmissions gas tank which does not have provisions to properly run the factory EVAP system. I'm hoping to find a regualar 240z gas tank at Carlisle Import Nationals this year and adapt the factory setup to my L28ET.