HybridZ

351w+T5 install question

kon

I am wondering how many folks here have 351w's in their z. What mounts and headers are you guys running. From what I can tell by reading other posts here the main issue is the oil pan. I had a 351w foxbody...shouldn't I be able to use the same pan kit from Summit or Ford Racing to solve that issue? I also don't mind having to cut the hood if need be for EFI. I have an EFI set up by may want to go the carb route.

Thanks in advance.

I've got alsil's motor mount on my Z with the 351W(not running yet). It is not a direct bolt-in fit. The front sump of the oil-pan will hit the Z's crossmember. The Alsil crossmember was modified to lower the engine 1". This allowed me to slide the engine a little further back. I will have to cut a notch out of the back of the factory crossmember to gain a little clearance. Lowering it also gained enough room to fit a carb and intake under the hood. A future EFI setup may still require a hood mod.

My 351 has a dual sump. I am not sure if the Summit setup will allow more clearance in the front but it still may be a good idea to lower the engine. Another advantage of moving the engine back is that the transmission shifter is centered in the original location now. I am running BBK shorty headers.

This project was started in 2004 by a friend and I am trying to sort out the parts and finish it. Searching the Ford V8 forum for crossmember will give you several approaches to the 351 conversion. I am trying to bring myself up to speed on all the various techniques now.

Brad

Thanks for the info Brad. I am going to use Brian's mounting kit. I believe the oil pan I am referring to is the same as the one you are using if you have a dual sump. That is the same style of pan the Foxbody's use and ford makes a retro kit for the 351w for the Foxbody. I will be using EFI as I alreay have a set up and don't mind the hood issue. One more thing did you use 351w headers or 302 header?

Thanks,

Kon

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on my project for over 8 years. I call it my 351Z. I fabricated a crossmember under the neck of the oil pan and installed the mounts on this. It has a t5 also. I drove it for the first time about a Month ago.

I also couldn't find headers, so I refabricated the left side of a pair of shorty Flowtech.

The Ga. Piddler

I've been working on my project for over 8 years. I call it my 351Z. I fabricated a crossmember under the neck of the oil pan and installed the mounts on this. It has a t5 also. I drove it for the first time about a Month ago.

I also couldn't find headers, so I refabricated the left side of a pair of shorty Flowtech.

The Ga. Piddler