HybridZ

R200 conversion from 90 300zx NA to s30

I'm swapping the rear end of my 70, and picked up the rear end/axles/hubs from a 300zx NA with everything (including the subframes and calipers/lines) attached for $200 and am pulling my stock r180 out today. Just starting the thread now, figured any pointers would be cool.

Maybe he was venting his disappointment. The title implies that there's more in the thread than just a question.

The 1990 300ZX is the Z32 I believe, with the short nose R200. That is the more difficult diff swap.

See here - http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/49194-differential-cv-lsd-hp-torque-r160-r180-r200-r230-diff-mount/

Buy here - http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74&PHPSESSID=664fa626f11aa37b79b99a9dd82712be

Aha, maybe I posted too soon. Mm kit looks good, but a techno toy tuning has a nice kit with adjustable rear LCAs in conjunction with the appropriate mounts and coilovers,, and as they are about 20 minutes from my house I liked this option, and theyll be swapping the axles in the diff.

I will repost when I get it back with the other stuff. Only problem I've run into time wise is finding someone to fab or buy a prefab driveshaft.

I live in Sacramento, and theres a good drive line shop in West Sac. They have been there for 50 years and do great work. I just had 2 half shafts and a drive line done there last month. Took them about 2 days to finish.

Sweet, what's the name of the shop?

• 9 years later...
On 4/29/2012 at 5:51 PM, Nismodealer said:

Aha, maybe I posted too soon. Mm kit looks good, but a techno toy tuning has a nice kit with adjustable rear LCAs in conjunction with the appropriate mounts and coilovers,, and as they are about 20 minutes from my house I liked this option, and theyll be swapping the axles in the diff.

I will repost when I get it back with the other stuff. Only problem I've run into time wise is finding someone to fab or buy a prefab driveshaft.

What was the length of drive shaft you end up going withm

@Dwayne_The_Rock_Datsun, FYI, in case you missed it....this thread is 9 years old.  It looks like the OP was last on HybridZ 4 years ago.  You may want to search other/more recent threads on this particular topic.  If you do, I'd suggest using Google search vs the website organic search feature -- you'll have more success with Google search.  Good luck with it.

At the risk of not reading the entire thread, I can let you know what I ended up doing. I pulled a 3.7:1 from an 85 NA from a. Pick a part. I used a 280z driveshaft and diff front yoke, plus a 280z mustache bar and rear LCA crossmember. 280z axle shafts. Everything bolted right in. You would need an impact wrench for the front yoke swap. 

This was 20 years ago when 280z’s were still plentiful in pick-a-parts. This diff is still in my turbo Z. Waiting for the race car to finish and il be swapping it out for Wlad’s kit already in hand.

:) 

@AydinZ71, it's not extremely clear, but I think the gist of the original thread was driveshaft length when installing a short-nose R200.  Yours is a long-nose R200, IINM?

Interesting thread on Ratsun.net on this very topic (the tech info came from Jon Mort and John Coffey):  https://ratsun.net/topic/66537-pros-and-cons-of-r200-37-diff/?_fromLogin=1

4 hours ago, jhm said:

@AydinZ71, it's not extremely clear, but I think the gist of the original thread was driveshaft length when installing a short-nose R200.  Yours is a long-nose R200, IINM?

Interesting thread on Ratsun.net on this very topic (the tech info came from Jon Mort and John Coffey):  https://ratsun.net/topic/66537-pros-and-cons-of-r200-37-diff/?_fromLogin=1

I've never seen that thread before, so much good info!  Thanks

• Like 1

@jhm Yep yep! Mine is the long nose R200 (z31). Adapting the Short-nose into an S30 is a more more involved exercise. I tend to agree with the he opinions of some that the short nose needs a “cradle” to “bolt into” an S30, unless you welded in custom reinforced mounting. Assuming you are putting in the short-nose for the strength and LSD (to run high torque), the torque can do some weird things. 

... and now I’m just rambling because I have no one else to talk Z tech with locally 😂😂