HybridZ

Normal Operating Temps?

ZAMMM

I have recently installed a new aluminum 3 row rad and also a new water temp sensor and noticed that the car is running hotter. I noticed that the old water temp sensor was nasty with build up but Im also wondering if there is a proper way to bleed the coolant system on this car. Its running almost about 3 quarters on the temp gauge which I would believe would be hotter than 200 degrees with the a/c off. When I installed the radiator I used a 50/50 mix and also added a small amount of water wetter. I let the car idle until it was warm with the heat valve pushed to the hottest setting with the fan off and also had the rad cap off to check for bubbles. Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Warm up the engine from a cold startup and make sure your thermostat is opening and your fans are working/ turning on at the right temp.

Find the highest point in the cooling system to bleed out all the air. Sometimes it also helps to jack up the front of the car and blast the heater while your adding water and bleeding the system.

Generally if i'm trying to bring water temps down a bit I like to lean out the coolant and add more distilled water and water wetter.

Sounds like bubbles. Do what the first guy said and burp the system. I run a 70/30 water to coolant with water better. My car normally doesn't get above 200ish.

When I swapped out my sensor in my 260z it did read higher but not that much higher. Ultimately you can get a infrared heat gun and actually measure the temp of your coolant lines to see if your gauge is accurate.

I am now using a 160f T-stat and I drilled a small hole through it.

This way I know for absolute certain that water is always circulating.

Had a scare once with a stuck t-stat and a sensor that wasn't reading the true situation (meltdown).

I run the equivalent of the Nissan Tropical Thermostat (72C / 160F) and don't have any of the problems people do running the Temperate (82C / 180F) or the Frigid...

If its summer, and your temperatures will not drop appreciably below 21C, you're pushing it with "Temperate", if your temperatures are above 30C, you're simply asking for issues.

I am now using a 160f T-stat and I drilled a small hole through it.

This way I know for absolute certain that water is always circulating.

Had a scare once with a stuck t-stat and a sensor that wasn't reading the true situation (meltdown).

I run the equivalent of the Nissan Tropical Thermostat (72C / 160F) and don't have any of the problems people do running the Temperate (82C / 180F) or the Frigid...

If its summer, and your temperatures will not drop appreciably below 21C, you're pushing it with "Temperate", if your temperatures are above 30C, you're simply asking for issues.

I run a 170F in mine with a iffy original radiator.

Drilling a small bleeder hole IF the T-stat did not have one is a good idea. Its small enough that it will not affect warmup and will prevent an air pocket in the cylinder head. A good T-stat will have one already. Im with Tony on the heat range. Learned that one long ago, but he drives in a warmer area than I.

Ray