HybridZ

Took my Z to the Dragon this weekend...

rnye

so this past weekend I went with the Tampa NASIOC group to the Dragon this weekend. For those that don't know the Dragon is one of the best roads in America. 318 turns in 11 miles - NC/Tenn border. Absolutely NUTS and a ton of fun!

Car ran like a champ (L28ET@15psi) - Nitto NT01s were amazing in the wet and ridiculous in the dry! Didn't have my rollcage in time but its going back to the shop this week for that and more. Please excuse the sloppy exterior and Krylon hood art - eventually it'll be prettied up. Function>form.

Anyway, thoroughly recommended trip to anyone that's into driving. Was awesome making memories with the Z and makes me feel much better dumping seemingly endless amounts of time and money into it. It all comes together on a great day with great roads! I'm still looking through pictures to see which ones I want to order. I am going to have one blown up and framed with my ticket on RT129 (54/30) :)

mezgasdragon.jpg

znasioc.jpg

znasioc2.jpg

dsc0233ve.jpg

defis.jpg

fontanavillage.jpg

Fontana Dam Village Resort (great stay!)

And now driving the Dragon!

mezdragon.jpg

megloves.jpg

(Yes I had to buy motorcycle gloves - need to order some cool oldschool leather driving gloves to fit the look!)

zdragon2.jpg

dragonz1.jpg

dragonz3.jpg

dragonz9.jpg

dragonz8.jpg

dragonz7.jpg

dragonz6.jpg

dragonz5.jpg

dragonz4.jpg

popof.jpg

LOL

Nice! I hope you had a blast! Its a shame the dragon is roughly an hour away from me and I rarely go. The key to driving the dragon is going on week days; Very litle traffic and minimal amounts of law enforcement make for a good time!

Glad to see you're out enjoying the car and that she's still running strong. I always wanted to take the Z up there when I was in FL but never got the chance. Looking forward to seeing more pics of the car as your build progresses. :2thumbs:

Dale -

The car has been awesome! I sold my S2000 in December and have been putting a lot of time and money into the Z (long overdue). We are doing an 8pt cage this week - then addressing some minor heat related issues - but overall mechanically its been great!

Next step is suspension/fuel cell/brakes. Not sure if I'm going to go 5 lug or not..? Last is paint and body. I am taking pictures of everything so I'll make a build thread.

I want to have it finished by the end of the summer! If you're ever in Tampa you're more than welcome to take it out anytime.

Super! The only thing that would have made it better would to have had a friend with you. Who took your pictures? How do you have time to hit the gym when you are doing all that car work-must be nice to be young. Love the switch panel - what do each of those switches do? I think your paint looks great. The best way to stop enjoying your z-car is to make it shiny-you'll worry about it all the time instead of driving it. I have decided, for myself, not to spend the time on 5-lug - You already have amazing wheels. I recommend that you spend your time and money on other things, like your coilovers, camber plates and cage, then growing as a driver. Another car without flares-a kindred spirit-love it!

The Dragon is a worthwhile road trip! I grew up not too far from there before it became 'known'. Have gone several times for NSX meets and drives but haven't got the Z up there yet.

It has become pretty swamped with tourists and is swarming with police now. I hope you (and anyone else going to go) took some time to the Cherohala Skyway which is just as fun and less crowded. Its only a few miles from the Dragon.

http://www.cherohala.org/

Edited by Aero Z

I wish we had a road like the Dragon in the Northeast there are no good driving roads around here :(

Your car also looks great! not sure if this was you but did your car used to be black? I've seen another Z with the same exact rising sun logo on the hood.

Also what spring/shocks setup are you running? I have the same wheels Konig rewind 15x7 on 225x50x15 Kumho ecstas (meh tires I know) but my car seems much lower than yours? I've got Tokico shocks and springs.

Edited by sito

The Dragon is a worthwhile road trip! I grew up not too far from there before it became 'known'. Have gone several times for NSX meets and drives but haven't got the Z up there yet.

It has become pretty swamped with tourists and is swarming with police now. I hope you (and anyone else going to go) took some time to the Cherohala Skyway which is just as fun and less crowded. Its only a few miles from the Dragon.

http://www.cherohala.org/

Is that one of the roads that Top Gear featured while looking for the "Ultimate Road for Driving Experience," but had a 40 MPH speed limit?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...