HybridZ

AWD Subie powered Z

What the heck, This is the fastest moving AWD swap I've ever seen or heard of. I'm pretty jealous to say the least. I'm currently building a EJ22 phase 2 out of a 97 Impreza for my Beetle project. What is your plan for the shifter? Seems like placement would be tricky.

Edited by 19762802+2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the heck, This is the fastest moving AWD swap I've ever seen or heard of. I'm pretty jealous to say the least, What year Subie are you using? Model? Motor? I'm currently building a EJ22 phase 2 out of a 97 Impreza for my Beetle project. What is your plan for the shifter? Seems like placement would be tricky.

I used a 99 Subaru Forester, lol I have 3 of them, well now 2 as I chopped up the red one, using the sheet metal from it too, lol

Shifter is an easy fix, just have to lenthen the rod so the subie shifter reaches the Zs hole, add the little thingy thing from the subie shifter and it will be done,

I do feel like I am cheating here, but its still allot of work, around 30 hours so far, plan to put in a 2.5 Franken motor.

I used a 99 Subaru Forester, lol I have 3 of them, well now 2 as I chopped up the red one, using the sheet metal from it too, lol

Shifter is an easy fix, just have to lenthen the rod so the subie shifter reaches the Zs hole, add the little thingy thing from the subie shifter and it will be done,

I do feel like I am cheating here, but its still allot of work, around 30 hours so far, plan to put in a 2.5 Franken motor.

Nice I noticed right after I posted what you were using, Just had to re-read your posts, Are you going NA or Turboed? Down the road I've considered doing a Ej25 with Ej22 heads and since I'm using megasquirt run it with E85 and I'm already building ITB's for the EJ22 but we'll see how quick it is with the Ej22 should be a lot faster then It was before haha.

Nice I noticed right after I posted what you were using, Just had to re-read your posts, Are you going NA or Turboed? Down the road I've considered doing a Ej25 with Ej22 heads and since I'm using megasquirt run it with E85 and I'm already building ITB's for the EJ22 but we'll see how quick it is with the Ej22 should be a lot faster then It was before haha.

Not sure but for now NA, later maybe a twin turbo since ill have lots of room for it behind the engine.

I am still trying to figureout where to put the radiator!

Not sure but for now NA, later maybe a twin turbo since ill have lots of room for it behind the engine.

You could run a earlier Jeep cherokee radiator angled back towards the motor, You could run a Honda Civic radiator or 2 which should allow for some space as well.

With the room BEHIND the motor, why not put it THERE and duct it out through shark gill slots between the front wheel wells and the door?

With the room BEHIND the motor, why not put it THERE and duct it out through shark gill slots between the front wheel wells and the door?

I like the idea of having 2 rads, but let me get the motor in and take pics, ideally it should go where it belongs, in front of the motor, if the motor takes up too much room up front then ill consider options with you guys.

Ok the engine is in for test fit, it certainly is forward!

Now if I do mount the radiator behind the motor flat pointing up or down with fans, what way would I want the air flow to go? I am thinking louvers on the hood.

I could make it fit in front but very very tight.

post-28967-032787500 1336832780_thumb.jpg

post-28967-031139800 1336832801_thumb.jpg

post-28967-066805900 1336832936_thumb.jpg

Is this car going to be street driven? I know some racers like to put the rad in the hatch. You could replace the quarter windows with a piece of lexan with some big NACA ducts and duct from there... Maybe even a hood scoop. Probably wouldn't want to do it on a street car though. I'd think you could mount the rad horizontally or angled over the trans and pull air through the hood, fenders, wheel wells, ducted from the front of the car, etc. That could be a cool set up. The other thing I'm wondering is if it would be possible to put the rad in front of the rad support. It might work there... You'd need some slim fans though.

Edited by luseboy

Is this car going to be street driven? I know some racers like to put the rad in the hatch. You could replace the quarter windows with a piece of lexan with some big NACA ducts and duct from there... Maybe even a hood scoop. Probably wouldn't want to do it on a street car though. I'd think you could mount the rad horizontally or angled over the trans and pull air through the hood, fenders, wheel wells, ducted from the front of the car, etc. That could be a cool set up. The other thing I'm wondering is if it would be possible to put the rad in front of the rad support. It might work there... You'd need some slim fans though.

I plan to make it for both street and track so I can drive it on weekends to the track, I live like 20 minutes from the Calaboogie race trace. I have the rad sitting in there flat like and it looks cool, I think I will make a brace for the shock towers and incorperate it with brackets for the rad,

just got back from the dump with some nice sheet metal for the floors, hopefully get all this welding behind me asap.

post-28967-062136000 1336841267_thumb.jpg

post-28967-079460300 1336841291_thumb.jpg

After seeing the engine test fit pictures I like the idea of the rad in front of the rad support. With some proper ducting/air deflectors, it could be a very efficient set-up.

That would leave a lot of space behind the engine for turbocharger(s).... B)

Im sure you thought about this, but wouldnt a rb26dett awd be a better choice? the axles would bolt up to the oil pan which is right in the middle of the motor underneath rather than at the tranny like the subaru. I just dont like the fact that the motor sets at the front end of the bay, wouldnt this through the balance of the car way off? I know i shouldnt judge you until your done but im just wondering. I dont know what the suspension looks like on the gtr's, im just looking at the pictures on google of the oilpan and trans, so maybe it wouldnt work out.

This looks like it will be the easiest car ever to work on. You can quickly change timing belt/tensioners just by reaching in through the grill, won't even have to open the hood and as Fuzzydice mentioned, clutch replacement, just unbolt the transmission and slide it back with no heavy lifting at all.

Im sure you thought about this, but wouldnt a rb26dett awd be a better choice? the axles would bolt up to the oil pan which is right in the middle of the motor underneath rather than at the tranny like the subaru. I just dont like the fact that the motor sets at the front end of the bay, wouldnt this through the balance of the car way off? I know i shouldnt judge you until your done but im just wondering. I dont know what the suspension looks like on the gtr's, im just looking at the pictures on google of the oilpan and trans, so maybe it wouldnt work out.

The engine is sitting in the same position as it does on any subaru, so I dont think it will matter that it is forward, my only concern is the rear being too light. I had these cars in my yard so I am going with it.

the rad location is on hold for now, just trying to get the metal work done, I keep getting bothered by people coming over and asking what the hell am I doing!

After seeing the engine test fit pictures I like the idea of the rad in front of the rad support. With some proper ducting/air deflectors, it could be a very efficient set-up.

That would leave a lot of space behind the engine for turbocharger(s).... B)

there really is not much room in front of the rad support but ill take it into consideration.

here is a pic with the hood on it, everything clears nicely.

post-28967-014914300 1336849243_thumb.jpg

Another thing to think about having the radiator flat like behind the motor is that you may have issues bleeding the system, all which can be dealt with though, If you keep the radiator in the back you could do a hood scoop almost like the STI's and have the air pass down through the rad. But it looks like there is plenty of room for a Small Honda Radiator in front. Another thing to think about is if you go Turbo down the road where you will be able to mount the Intercooler. You could always flip the Intake manifold around so the Throttle body faces forward as well, Should flip with no problems whatsoever.

Some pictures of a Honda Rad in a Z.

PipingRear.jpg

Radiator.jpg

Another thing to think about having the radiator flat like behind the motor is that you may have issues bleeding the system, all which can be dealt with though, If you keep the radiator in the back you could do a hood scoop almost like the STI's and have the air pass down through the rad. But it looks like there is plenty of room for a Small Honda Radiator in front. Another thing to think about is if you go Turbo down the road where you will be able to mount the Intercooler. You could always flip the Intake manifold around so the Throttle body faces forward as well, Should flip with no problems whatsoever.

Some pictures of a Honda Rad in a Z.

Thanks for the pics, I did think of flipping the intake around but I think it will hit the hood, the STI hood scoop for sure,

see this pic, the rad could sit lower like this with fans on top, still room for the twin turbos on the sides and above the rad.

Now if I could find a wide yet short rad it could go up front, but then no room for the turbo intercooler as someone mentioned.

post-28967-084920400 1336852033_thumb.jpg

post-28967-085624400 1336852079_thumb.jpg