HybridZ

Slip joint made tight?

BlueStag

I don't completely understand your question but, an exhaust clamp (D shaped thing) will hold pipe together just fine. If you have a welder why not? I only left a clamp where my exhaust will need to come apart.

Edited by Challenger

Challenger:

No, you understood me. One pipe is 2"id and the next is 2"od.

My L6 is in a Triumph Stag. It's rear suspension is similar to that of a 280ZX, semi-trailing arms. There are two holes in the subframe that supports the diffy and the semi trailing arms for the original V8's exhaust to pass thru.

Mine is routed thru one of those holes. Which makes the exhaust pretty rigid.

Taking the down pipe off the manifold is next to impossible on my car if the down pipe is welded to the rest of the exhaust. So I want a slip joint there.

I am having trouble getting the clamp to close it up. It could be that I need a slightly smaller clamp.

So you think I can close it tight with a muffler clamp?

Most muffler shop style slip joints are too loose to seal unless the pipes are distorted by the old style muffler clamps. SPD, Burns, and others make tight slip joints (called Transitions) that are held in place by a T-Bolt clamp, bolt tabs, or collector springs and self seal when the exhaust tubing heats up. They can be a bitch to get a part of anti-sieve isn't used during assembly. The inlet side of this merge collector shows a typical transition slip fit

gallery_95_794_23972.jpg

These Stahl headers show a bolt tab slip fit.

gallery_95_794_10414.jpg

Below is a turbo header I amde showing a bolted slip fit connection:

536383_10150599430246671_143989191670_9395739_1710555226_n.jpg

403881_10150605009736671_143989191670_9410355_1311572516_n.jpg

I had good luck with the thin polished stainless sheetmetal clamps that overlap the step joint on my last L24 exhaust system. They are low profile and seal well. There was just enough leakage over a 10 year period to cause a sooty spot where the clamping mechanism is but never enough to stink or make a ticking sound. I would use the stepped kind (they make them for butted joints too), use antiseize like johnc said and wipe off any excess. Mine never leaked and came apart easily after 10 years of use (race car/storage car-not very many miles). I think speedwaymotors.com stocks them. Summit and Jegs probably do too. I was skeptical of them at first, but they were great and I think they would have lasted a long time trouble free. I used one to join my header to my 2-1/2" exhaust tube. Header was steel, exhaust tubing was stainless. I had 3 of them along the main exhaust pipe in case I needed to service any of it - never had a problem.

Johnc - I have no experience with bolted slip joints. Would you recommend them on a daily driver?

Edited by RebekahsZ

If the stepped clamps worked for 10 years, why change? A bolted slip joint like in the pictures above is more expensive to build and is designed for frequent assembly/disassemble. For even faster servicing on race cars I used collector springs and tabs:

26530_338792721670_143989191670_4121473_4948729_n.jpg

26530_338768671670_143989191670_4121427_7455412_n.jpg

Well, that is all nice technology. I won't be employing that stuff, I think. Pricy!

Possibly the v-clamp could work for me, if I just can't get it tight with a conventional clamp.

Or I may just gut it out and weld the joint shut.

If it's a joint that will need to come apart, I would use the V-band style clamp. Using the conventional crush clamps that are common, usually make it near impossible to get an exhaust system back apart, especially without heating excessivly using an oxy-acetylene style torch to expand the outer tube.

Another option would be a wide stepped band style clamp, that could be used with a slip joint and usually allow for an easier dissasembly later on, since there is no crushing of the tubes. Soot and carbon from the exhaust can cause the slip joint to become tight however and may still be difficult to get apart. As suggested using some anti-seize could help get them apart later.

324317d1325517150-installing-new-cat-clamps-only-doable-trouble-band-clamp.jpg