HybridZ

280zx falls on its face when boost hits

Lots of things can cause that.

For example. Mine has done that a few times over the years. One time is was loose spark plugs and the other time was a leak in the fuel pressure regulator which dump extra gas into the intake from the vacuum port hose.

I'm sure there are other things to check. Like a bad air flow meter or weak ignition (no name a few).

Good luck finding that.

Please make some distinction between sentences. It's the rules on hybridz.

Is this a stock turbo engine? What year? Have you been able to check fuel pressure while in boost? Has it always done this, just started? We need more information from your end to help.

the car is a 1979 datsun 280zx. it is a na engine with a t3/ t4 turbo. the car just started doing this never had it happen before. at 5 pounds of boost I get 65 pounds of fuel pressure. I am running a msd 6al ignition box. I have the timing is set at 22 degrees advance.

How are you controlling boost? Manual controller? Electronic controller? It may be the wastegate opening too early. How about the emergency pop off valve opening too early. I believe it normally opens around 9 psi but could be leaking earlier.

A little too much fuel pressure for only 5 psi of boost. But the timing seems right. I like running around 8 psi of boost with 65 psi of fuel pressure when using stock NA injectors

Check the spark plugs.

With the engine running, Pull the vacuum line to the stock fuel pressure regulator to see it any fuel comes out. Also pinch the return fuel line with the line off to see if fuel comes out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...