HybridZ

electrical bug makes for fun ride

Ive never seen any thing like this ... i have a 1975 280z ... runs excellent... the wiring is confusing me... it will always make a strange buzzing sound and the lights ( all of them ) will go dim ...not off...then pop back on.. get brighter and brighter then go dim for a second it does this every 20 seconds then repeats.. it does this all the time... weather the lights are on or not ..it always make a buzzing sound like a relay is trying to kick on.. then stops but it does affect the lights ...nothing else... has anyone had this problem ?

Ive never seen any thing like this ... i have a 1975 280z ... runs excellent... the wiring is confusing me... it will always make a strange buzzing sound and the lights ( all of them ) will go dim ...not off...then pop back on.. get brighter and brighter then go dim for a second it does this every 20 seconds then repeats.. it does this all the time... weather the lights are on or not ..it always make a buzzing sound like a relay is trying to kick on.. then stops but it does affect the lights ...nothing else... has anyone had this problem ?

on a side note it has a new alt.. batt.. headlights..ign switch..and no radio

Have you checked the Battery, voltage regulator Alternator and or charging system?. If it does this as often as you say, a voltage test may help tell you whats going on. Make sure all the connections are clean of corrosion and tight.

I would start with those and then get back to us with your results.

Have you checked the Battery, voltage regulator Alternator and or charging system?. If it does this as often as you say, a voltage test may help tell you whats going on. Make sure all the connections are clean of corrosion and tight.

I would start with those and then get back to us with your results.

voltage is constant 12 to 15 drops off to about 3 for a second or so about every 20 seconds new batt and alt... clean conections i think its a relay?

Sounds like the alt that you got is defective, take it to a parts store(kragen, O'reilly, autozone) have them test the alt. Really does sound like the voltage regulator is bad.

its all new.. it did this with the old alt too... something is trying to kick on? its not the alt... sounds the ac trying to kick in or something

Ac coming on shouldn't drop it down to 3V. That's a huge drain. Does the engine bog down when it goes down to 3v?

yea it does a little... not bad ...it won't kill the motor ..it makes it flutter a little ... its timed every twenty seconds or so... it will buzz then stop and be fine ... the ac isnt even hooked up