HybridZ

Replacement Horns

So I threw away my horns a long time ago in one of my many "clean the garage" events and now I need them. I went to oreilly and they want 15 bucks for a single horn so Im looking to go to the junkyard and pick up a coulple horns. I imagine as long as you can bolt the thing on and wire it up it will work just the same right? Hopefully there is some flexiblilty in the current avialable for the horns, I imagine certain louder horns might draw a bit more current.

Either way, anyone have reccomendations for a good sounding horn off a car that youd find in a junkyard? Or have you done a replacement like this before? Id go and pull some off of a Z but the yards are out of Z cars right now.

Considering a single OEM horn is $97-$110 retail at a Nissan dealer, depending on the horn, although likely unavailable, I don't see how $15 is a lot of money? Unless you left out a zero on the end.

Then again, the stock horns sound pathetic and I can't imagine why, other than originality, you'd want new OEM ones. I had planned on going Hella, they sound pretty decent.

I am running 94 Camaro Z28 horns I pulled from my original donor car. I am also running the Z28 chassis wiring harness which uses a relay in the horn circuit. I don't know how much current these horns draw but they are much louder than the stock horns were.

Considering a single OEM horn is $97-$110 retail at a Nissan dealer, depending on the horn, although likely unavailable, I don't see how $15 is a lot of money? Unless you left out a zero on the end.

Then again, the stock horns sound pathetic and I can't imagine why, other than originality, you'd want new OEM ones. I had planned on going Hella, they sound pretty decent.

Because I paid $4.35 for two Z31 horns that are very loud and sound pretty good. I say $20 saved factoring in some gas is pretty good.

Either way, the Z31 84-88 horns are the same. I liked the 88 connector better so I grabbed those. They have a small sheet metal bracket that makes them perfect for the stock location on the S30. I had to splice into the wiring (12V side, other wire can just go to a good ground as long as the horn case is grounded) to put on the new connector but other than that it was all bolt on. Im very happy with them.

Specs on the 84-88 horns are 12V, 3.5A, 110dB.

Edited by Challenger

I also have the Hella Supertones, on my 190E2.6 Benz.

People seem to pay a bit more attention to their "irritating"

sound.

They're good, but they really didn't impress me.

I'd like to try some Fiamm "Highway Blasters".

I had Fiamms on my KZ650 back in the 70's, and I was impressed.

People MOVED when I hit those horns.

I might try some early 70's Eldorado horns, not in sync with

a Datsun's look, but plenty loud and LARGE sounding. :lol:

Edited by jasper

• 5 months later...