HybridZ

280ZX s13 coilover install adapter.

Mack

Well, here are some pics of the adapter I made to put a maxima/stanza ball joint on the stock 280ZX control arm. The maxima/stanza ball joint has the proper angle to put 240sx hubs and thus, 240sx coilovers. the only part of the equation I haven't figured out yet is the tie rod end, as I don't think the stock on has enough threads to reach the S13 hubs safely. I am looking into Z32 and S14 stuff. The rears are easy, pretty much bolt in. All you have to do is modify the top mounts to fit in the 280ZX strut tower. I can get pics of that too if anyone wants.

Also, I when running the S13/14 front hub, Z32 rotors and calipers become bolt on. There are a few more pics in my photobucket album, and I can get more if anyone needs them. Suspension bits

IMAGE_183.jpg

IMAGE_184.jpg

Edited by Mack

Thanks Mack - this is an often asked question from the S130 guys looking for coilovers that don't exist. Another option for adapting the S13 coil overs. I did just notice that Tech Toy Tuning has a front coilover for those who don't have the ability to fab their own up.

That's pretty awesome. You can also go 5 lug now pretty easy.

Have you measured everything out height wise (I think)? I remember thinking when I just had my coilover welded on it wasn't that much different in height from regular shock and spring. The s13 hub will only add like 2 inches to that.

I used to have HKS hypermax coilovers for the rear but I was dumb to sell them as they could have been useful all that I needed was make them fit the top mounts.

I would be interested in seeing some pics on how they would fit for the rears.

The S13 rears bolt right in. You just need to take the top hat from the stocker that is a three bolt and replace the S13 two bolt top hat.

Are we talking 84-88 U11 Maxima/89-94 U12 Stanza?

Yes! Those are the ball joints I used.

As far as the height comment, with the coilovers I used it doesn't matter as they are the good kind of adjustable. When you lower or raise it, the body of the shock is threaded into a sleeve that the hub bolts to, so you can keep all your pre-load no matter what height you set it to.

I haven't messed around with autocad much, is there a free version you could point me to that I can play with? I am sure I could pick it up pretty easy.

And, yes! I just modified the S14 (S13 and s14 stuff is the same, except the s14 rears coilovers are taller, easily fixed) top hat by re-drilling it for 3 bolts and cutting the shape to fit it into the top of the s130 strut tower. The 240sx stuff has a round top mount vs. the 280ZX flat on 2 sides top mount.

I will get some pics of that later in the week.

All of the answers to your questions are already in this thread.

well maybe i didn't word my question correctly, (i do that when i am being sneaky looking at this forum while i am supposed to be working!!!) So i see that there are slight differences in height, which doesnt really concern me, my main concern is that the aftermarket offerings for suspension is kinda weak for our cars. Fortunately I am comfortable with adapting and fabricating. I am just wondering if it will be worth the effort. Tokico struts are not the best but they are nothing to skoff at either. Does converting to S 13 stuff give a few more options? I have been playing with cars most of my life (which is quite a while) including being a professional mechanic for my first career. However, this is my first Z car and I am still soaking up lots of info!! Bear with me folks!!

D~

I am running windows xp on an older AMD athalon 2.4ghz processor with 4 gigs of ram, I think it should be able to handle it. no dual or quad core, but still decent. I will give it a shot with the autocad! thanks!

There are full coilover kits available for the S13/S14 with ride height adjustment, damper compression and rebound adjustment, as well as a whole host of spring rates. And you can find most of these kits in the sub $1000 range, hell, a lot of them in the sub $500 range. Not to mention the cheap and easy brake upgrades available for the S series spindles, such as 300zx twin turbo calipers and rotors, or if you really want I have heard a rumor that late model (B15) sentra SER brembo calipers and rotors are BOLT ON for the S series hubs as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree I need these right now lol. I have the s13 front hubs on the car right now with the stock ball joints and that's where I found I will need to get these ball joints. Also have the tie rods hooked up but when one is straight the other has a lot of toe in so if you beat me to finding out what to do with the rack stuff let me know! But if you could either take exact measurements of the bracket you made so we can finally get this done too or make some more to sell that would be AMAZING! :)

looks awesome man! i was going to attempt this project a while back and scrapped the idea. FWIW, in case anyone else tries to do it. The S13/S14 front struts will not fit in the 280zx strut tower. The S13 top strut mount is offset in ward, while the 280zx strut mount is centered. The offset makes the strut/spring assembly rub and bind against the inside of the strut tower, so you can only use coil overs.

• 1 month later...