HybridZ

Compression Check without a Starter...

JSM

I picked up a used motor from the JY for my Lexus. Of course mileage is unknown and no starter or trans came with the car because I had to pay for it if I kept it!

Anyway, I'd like to do a compression check. I was curious if I were to spin the motor with an impact wrench on the crank pulley if that would be a bad idea? Anyone else try something like this? Thoughts? Any other method to check compression?

Talk about loads of fun!

3be2bfb1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just got done checking a mitsu. 3000gt VR4 compression as it sat on the engine stand before I spent more time assembling it.

Other than piston ring issues, most of what lowers compression usually removes all compression from a cranking speed standpoint.

I wanted to see if I had to go further into this engine so I simply removed all the spark plugs and hand cranked it.

It had between 15 and 20 psi hand cranking on an engine that sat for 5 years.

I just got done checking a mitsu. 3000gt VR4 compression as it sat on the engine stand before I spent more time assembling it.

Other than piston ring issues, most of what lowers compression usually removes all compression from a cranking speed standpoint.

I wanted to see if I had to go further into this engine so I simply removed all the spark plugs and hand cranked it.

It had between 15 and 20 psi hand cranking on an engine that sat for 5 years.

I was able to get close to 50 PSI doing the same thing. At least gave me a little more confidence.