HybridZ

RIP HLS30163341, 06/1973 - 05/2012

PanzerAce

Just found out that as my mechanic was bringing my 240 back from an exhaust shop to re-tune and dyno it (after I had gotten a fresh Rebello built engine) that a lady ran a red light and totaled the Z. No people were injured, and we've got a police report on the incident, and her insurance is covering everything, but...damn :(

I know I haven't posted in forever on this forum, but I figured you guys might want to know that there's now one less Z on the road :(

Sorry for the bad news.

After you get everything handled insurance wise and you buy the car back. Transfer its heart and vital organs into another S30 body. :blink: A lot of work but worth it in the end.

Iconic 73 240Z, A car barely alive, we can rebuild her. The $2 Thousand Dollar Z. :D

That sucks dude. I don't think that shell can be fixed. It likely won't drive the same ever again, even if it was fixed. If it were me, I'd try to trade the '78 shell for another 240z shell and swap everything over.

Edited by rturbo 930

What's caked on the inside of your hood?

Glue/insulation from a hood blanket the PO installed. It had to go considering I was driving this baby regularly in 110+ degree weather :o

Find a new shell. Transfer the goodies. Fix all the little things that bugged you on this one. Glad no one was hurt.

That's the plan. Find car with a real nice exterior and interior but a crap or busted engine and swap the L30 into that.

Tough hit. I tend to agree with wickiewiked240z, the front is tweeked but finding another shell is challenging and costly to get to a good rust-free state. I bet it can be straightened.

Biggest advantage for me is that I'm in California, so it won't be excessively hard to find a new car that's clean. Hell, the flaking paint revealed that the metal was basically in as it left the factory condition.

Edited by PanzerAce

• 3 weeks later...

Geez, I've seen vehicles blue booking for only 10k repaired with considerably more damage. Was the adjuster concerned there was driveline damage? For a 12k payout I'd say get it fixed, perfect chance for a nice, well done paint job, I'm glad you got a good payout, but I'm also curious what that adjuster was smoking.

I hope you fix it, if not, rest in peace indeed.