HybridZ

where to start?

Hello, I recently bought a 81 280zx N/A 5 speed. This is my first project car and need some advice. The goal is just to make a everyday car, nothing crazy, just something fun to drive.

I would like to do a v8 or turbo swap but dont know which would be easier. I have look around but seem to find info only on older year Z's. Any engine/man trans swap ideas/how to's would be great.

As far is price is concerned, I would would like to finnish the car all for about 5-7 grand. I also will take my time, im in no rush, my engine runs but doesnt seem to have that much life left.

thanks for all the help!

on a side note, i would also like convinces like a/c, heat, and power steering.

post-29183-012777700 1337540318_thumb.jpg

post-29183-079780900 1337540342_thumb.jpg

post-29183-064250300 1337540427_thumb.jpg

If you want your AC and PS it would probably be easier to stick with an L motor. Once you swap to a V8 most people use that under dash AC system and I don't know what they do for the PS. More fab work in my opinion.

I'd do a major tune up on the engine to get it running normally, then probably do some interior, then do paint. After that since you just want it stock for the most part you can look into finding a turbo swap and redoing the suspension ( assuming the suspension is ok right now).

I've read this over and over again in just about every forum, and I'll back it up with personal experience (I'm about a year in now restoring my 240).

Start small, get it running, and then figure out what you want to do.

Unless you have an unlimited budget, and have 40+ hours a week to work on it, and a LOT of experience. In my case, I have none of these, so I took it slow. I enjoyed it for the summer (last summer) and drove it, now it's sitting in my garage down to a body shell. I'm taking things one project at a time, but even then it's a lot. I'm going back stock with mine (or close to it) with the only major mods being a complete engine rebuild, some frame rail extensions, and stiffer springs/shocks. But I want to spend as little time and money as possible to get it to a "base" level, and then mod from there.

If you can get the motor running soundly, then drive it and work on the interior/exterior. Take small bites, and eventually it'll add up. :)