HybridZ

T3/T4 t04b .93 Trim Turbo Questions.?

Hi guys, im pretty new to all of this but i got a 1983 Datsun 280zx Turbo and its got the stock T3 air research turbo. My question is. I came across a T3/T4 Turbo with a .93 trim distributed by apexi and retailed for 2799.99$ and its also a ball bearing turbo and well polished. Im sure it will bolt right up onto the car. The turbo is good up to 550hp but my question is, would you guys recomend to swap it out over the stock T3.? I also got a turbonetics intercooler soo raising the boost a little wouldnt be to much of a problem. What would you recomend.? Would like to get a good 250 out of the car without having to upgrade much. Should i swap it out.? Or should i leave everything stock and just raise the boost with the intercooler setup.? Please help. Also the turbo was originally for a supra but was never used. Also will run 7 pounds of boost -12.? Help guys olease help. Ive searched and searched but feel like if im not getting the extra push or that missing info. Please all the help would be appreciated.

Look in the turbo section and see what size turbos most people are using. It seems to be a pretty big turbo, maybe you can take it somewhere and have them make it smaller. Or you may need to build your engine up to perform in the rpm range, to use that turbo. But check and see first and see what others have to say about it.

Hi guys, im pretty new to all of this but i got a 1983 Datsun 280zx Turbo and its got the stock T3 air research turbo. My question is. I came across a T3/T4 Turbo with a .93 trim distributed by apexi and retailed for 2799.99$ and its also a ball bearing turbo and well polished. Im sure it will bolt right up onto the car. The turbo is good up to 550hp but my question is, would you guys recomend to swap it out over the stock T3.? I also got a turbonetics intercooler soo raising the boost a little wouldnt be to much of a problem. What would you recomend.? Would like to get a good 250 out of the car without having to upgrade much. Should i swap it out.? Or should i leave everything stock and just raise the boost with the intercooler setup.? Please help. Also the turbo was originally for a supra but was never used. Also will run 7 pounds of boost -12.? Help guys olease help. Ive searched and searched but feel like if im not getting the extra push or that missing info. Please all the help would be appreciated.

If your looking for 250whp thats not an ideal turbo. The stock turbo could handle that from what I read. A .93 trim or did you mean A/R?

There are cheaper options.

Stock turbo and fuel system can handle a boost increase to 250hp with an intercooler. If/when you want more, it's more practical to upgrade the fuel/fuel management first, then go for an upgraded turbo.

And there are better turbo options, you are paying a lot for the name Apexi.

I got for say like 80-90% off from a guy who never used it and had no use for it. Soo i mean the price was incredible. And well im not sure but its a T3/T4 T04B .63 A/R .93 Trim. Its pretty big and man it spins so freely.! Also its a ball bearing turbo. What you guys say.?

Edited by Datsun63

Look in the turbo section and see what size turbos most people are using. It seems to be a pretty big turbo, maybe you can take it somewhere and have them make it smaller. Or you may need to build your engine up to perform in the rpm range, to use that turbo. But check and see first and see what others have to say about it.

The guy who had the turbo had originaly bought it for a supra i belive. Its big. I would like to use this turbo but i mean i know i can push the stock turbo with a good intercooler and fuel set up. Its what i might just end up doing on the 280zx so whenever smog comes it wont be to much of a deal ill just lower the boost down and hope everything is good. Its not a problem for me. On the other hand a i just got a 240z and 260z and future plans is swap and Rb engine into one of them. I might just hold on to the turbo or sell it then in the future get a Garrett Gt35 Turbo. It was my plan for the 280zx but ill just save money and use that for swap on one of the older Z's. As for now looks like maybe ill be better off selling the turbo and increasing the boost with the stock turbo. What do you guys think.?

Edited by Datsun63

If it were me I would sell that ball bearing turbo and for what its worth, possibly buy 2 turbos. One for each of your builds. I would upgrade the zx stock turbo to a 50 or 60 trim t3/t4. Just decide what stage wheel you want in that one.

Did you read the faq's in the turbo section yet?. They show good options for turbo sizes. You can then up the boost to 10, 15, or 20 usable psi and enjoy. Running a z or zx turbo at 15 to 25psi on the street, is a lot of fun.

If it were me I would sell that ball bearing turbo and for what its worth, possibly buy 2 turbos. One for each of your builds. I would upgrade the zx stock turbo to a 50 or 60 trim t3/t4. Just decide what stage wheel you want in that one.

Did you read the faq's in the turbo section yet?. They show good options for turbo sizes. You can then up the boost to 10, 15, or 20 usable psi and enjoy. Running a z or zx turbo at 15 to 25psi on the street, is a lot of fun.

Thank man this really helps. Imma go off selling it then. Ill just keep the stock turbo and increase the boost with the addition of the intercooler. Just one more question. I found a manual boost controller cheap ebay ones on ebay. Turned up the boost up to 7 then 9 psi and it would sound like if it wouldnt let my wastegate open up or it would hit fuel cut. Any suggestions.?

Read the Turbo Faq ok. You will learn alot from what others have done and experienced, before you. :)

Thanks guys, ive been doing research and everything, just didnt feel like if it was giving me that extra "push". But now its given me that push i needed.

Edited by Datsun63

• 4 weeks later...