HybridZ

351 cleveland swap

ToplessZ

• 1 month later...
Guest BAFfreak

Newbie here but bleed ford blue thru and thru. A word of caution against the Cleveland choice, i.e the Pantera engine or any other 4 bolt main block the stock overbore potental is a mere .040 on these blocks due to the extra bolts prox to the water jackets.

If I were to do a 351 Cleveland Swap it would be a two bolt main block, with a aussie 302 Cleveland crank, in other words destroke a 351C down to a 327, this combo makes ubber amounts of torque. and a set of 2v Aussie heads. The ausie heads have the small ports of the 2v heads with the valves of the 4 heads and they are quinched to boot.

Have ran combos of this sort in the past in roundy round racing. But with the advent of all the stuff for the windsors it really is getting cheaper to do the windsor combos not to mention that with a square factory block a 427 combo is possible and throw on a set of Billy Glidden Heads and you have a screamer.

New to the whole Z craze. But fell into a sweet 83 280 Zx with t tops and 5 speed for 500.00. Body is straight and the interior is mint. Car has satup for nearly 20 years, in fact had to cut down an oak tree that had grown around the car to get it. Found the car in south GA. The guy that owned it had bought it for his wife and something happened to the steering so he had her park it Orginally bought the car for a buddy that collects z's but he backed out of buying it So I started looking at doing the traditional chebby v8 swap not realizing that I could do a ford swap.

Now all I have to figure out what I am going to do. Looks like I am going the easy route of a 302

• 1 month later...

I have 3 clevelands,I promise you there aint stock chevy that runs tlike these

torker intake 294s comp cam 11 -1 compression 4 bbl heads ,headers and 42 degrees of total timing and you make 550 hp I have done it repeatedly.they run on cam 2 but are 10 second engines easily

• 2 months later...

If you're going to build a 351C you should just build a 347 "Boss". That is 302 block with stroker crank and Cleveland heads. The CHI heads are excellent -- last several Engine Masters Challenge have been won or dominated by CHI headed Fords. AFD also makes excellent heads. Use CHI 3V 185 or AFD 2V heads. Aussie 2V heads are a good second choice. The 347 will make more power than the 351 C due to less rotating mass, and a shorter stroke to boot. Also, the 302 has a shorter deck height than 351C or 351W so header and intake fitment is easier. Not to mention the 302 block is lighter.. You could also go with a shorter stroke for 331 cubes, at about the same power but at a higher RPM.

• 1 month later...

yes I agree except for one thing, you can build a cleveland with stock parts and turn 8000 rpm if yoou want to. csi in california makes port plate to fix "the hump" in the heads and fix flow issues with 4 bbl heads which by the way can be ported to flow over 300 cfm you cant get too many small block heads to do that and they will flow a .605 lift cam with no port work. gapp and rousch made 650 hp with off the shelf parts in the 70s .what I am saying is buy the port plates(100 dollars) comp cams 294 s 10 or 11-1 compression mostly stock parts and 550 hp under 2 grand chi charges that for the heads plus crank and stroker kit and machine work.yes maybe better combo but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than Ill spend and I might be eating a pizza at the finish line when you get ther,lol jk

• 2 weeks later...

admittedly the 351 cleveland is a good motor,however for what it weighs you may as well go big block

too much weight over the front end for a Z in my opinion

347 windsor a better option ,the only down side is the factory 302 blocks are only good for around 500hp and don't like to be revved over 6000rpm or they can split through the lifter gallery...mexican block or aftermarket can handle more