HybridZ

Which Ford Auto trans will fit?

I've never heard of a C-3 or a C-5. I have heard of Ford C-4 & C-6 (and FM2, FMX and MX).

I've only ever laid eyes (and fists) on the C-4 and C-6 though. By my reckoning, either one would fit into a Z with a small block bellhousing.

Guest Anonymous

The C3 was used behind 4 cylinder pinto/mustang II motor's, I've actually saw my Ex-father-in-law put one behind a 289, but I would steer away unless you know someone that can work it over, I'd imagine the torque limits would be pretty low.

The C5 is basically a C4 with some sort of lockup converter, I believe it was either a centrifugally operated or hydraulically, it used no electronics to do it from what I've read, I've never seen one, but it came in the early 80 monarchs, grenada and probably quite a few others. It supposedly has a distinguishing hump on the transmission pan and the internals can be built up just like a C4 as they are the same outside of the valve body which has the gizmo for the lockup converter.

Personally I'd get the dimensions of a AOD and compare to a 700R/4 GM tranny, its no small tranny either, with a bit of judicial massaging (with a 3 lb sledge) I can't imagine it being much larger than the 700R/4 but then again I've never yardsticked the two...

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Avoid the C3 for performance work. The C5 is a C4 with a hydraulic controlled lockup convertor. Both the C5 and C4 can be built to handle unreal horsepower. The AOD is big, but not as big as the 700-R. The problem is that's it's weak in stock form. Contact TCI or Art Carr for their parts; Lentech builds dynamite (but expensive) AODs.

I am putting a AOD in mine, it fitted OK when I tried it but I took out the Z's old tranny mounts as they kind of hit some of the lugs on the tranny case. The first two pics show a 302 bolted together finger tight to try the fit. The oil pan will fit behind the crossmember and it is a front mount pan. My car was sitting on the ground, so was the engine so the spacing could be a little off. I think it was close as the steering rack was about 1/2 a inch from my balancer and the fire wall about the same from the heads. my rotissery

Don