HybridZ

Weber 40 DCOE 151 vs 18

KoolMan

So im debating whether to get the Weber....

i currently have the SU carbs on my L28 and they are misfiring like crazy its 300 to get them rebuilt my thought is that if i would be spending money on rebuilding might as well get the Webers

the guy im getting them from wants $1000 but dont know if its a good deal. it would be another 450 to get them rebuilt.

there's some other webers 40 DCOE 18 for $700

what do you guys i should do?

let me know.

Regarding DCOE differences:

18's have brass floats, 151 would have plastic float. It makes no significant difference (of course, I have only tried one version, the 18's which are on my Z)

Progression ports are also a little bit difference. Reports from 151' owners were you need to drill one extra hole to make them work properly. with my 18's, they are good without doing anything.

Pierce Manifold rebuilt mine, cost was $600 FYI 6 years ago. Don't forget you might also need to tune them to your engine, it's going to cost you some money as well.

DCOE are addictive, don't do it just for cost reason IMHO. There're plenty of good reasons to switch SU for those.

The DCOE151 also has air bypass screws, which let you equalize both barrels of the same carb. That's a really handy feature.

As Matt mentioned, some have had issues with progression hole placement in the 151. A user here (duragg) dealt with that by drilling a new hole and plugging one old one.

FWIW, I paid $600 for a used set of DCOE18 carbs a few years ago, manifold and linkage included. I bolted them on and have been running them for over a year and a half.

I have always liked the carbs.

The 151 have been on a z before so I'm assuming they should be good to go. I have read the electronic conversion I would need the e12-80 distributor or get the module. Would there be a difference of using the moudule or the distributor from a 280zx

Is the 151 @ $1000 a good price?

I have always liked the carbs.

The 151 have been on a z before so I'm assuming they should be good to go. I have read the electronic conversion I would need the e12-80 distributor or get the module. Would there be a difference of using the moudule or the distributor from a 280zx

Is the 151 @ $1000 a good price?

What are they worth to you? If you're willing to pay $1000, then do it. It really comes down to condition. If they were bought new, put on the car and never run, then maybe it's worth it. I can't tell you, as I don't know your budget nor see the carbs you're referring to.

Also, what makes you think they need a rebuild? Everyone wants to "rebuild" every part they get but it's not necessary in many cases. What you need to do is a good inspection and if everything checks out, then run them.

As I said, I got my DCOE 18s for $600. All I did was replace some dried-out o-rings and have run them ever since.

Not sure how to address the sudden derailment to electronic ignition...

• 3 weeks later...

I really don't want to create a new thread for this question I have and I searched fro it but no luck.

I just bought a car with triple 40DCOEs, two of them are 18s and one is a 151. Will this be an issue or can they be used like this?

I really don't want to create a new thread for this question I have and I searched fro it but no luck.

I just bought a car with triple 40DCOEs, two of them are 18s and one is a 151. Will this be an issue or can they be used like this?

This is the catchall thread for Webers: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/28318-weber-jetsall-who-live-for-their-triples-please-read-this/page__pid__1004337__st__520

If the car runs ok, let it be. But the carbs are different and different is bad when tuning DCOE. If you are chasing problems, reduce variables and get another 18.

I'd definitely get a matching set. The 151s are a newer design, and feature air bypass screws for each barrel. While that is not a big deal, I believe the idle mixture screws have a different pitch. Thus you'd have widely varying idle screw settings on the two types of carb. Not good. Find an 18 or two 151s.

Edited by Leon