HybridZ

GTX30 or 35? Having a tough time deciding.

Yup, here's another one of those "which turbo?!" threads.

I've just about dead set on running a GTX3076R or GTX3582R, either one with a .82 hot side.

My question is, has any L guys touched these turbo's yet? From extensive Google searching, a lot of Evo guys, some RB guys, SRT4's folks and etc have run these with good look numbers. I know Big Phil ran something around 388HP - 415TQ IIRC on a regular GT35R. I'd like to reach those numbers too and I was wondering if the GTX30 would get close to that, or if the 35 would be overkill. I'm really just looking for personal experiences on L type engines, since the numbers coming from other engines is subjective.

If you guys have any other suggestions feel free, I'm not entirely partial to Garrett's, but I am partial to quality ball bearing turbo's. Right now I have a cheapy 60-1 that needs a rebuild so I'm looking to spend big once on a good turbo.

Thanks for any advice or input fellas.

Plain old GT35R is worth well more than that! JeffP made 475 on a stock Low-Compression bottom end using the GT35R...He's finding excuses now to refit the new "X" series because when we were doing the Forged Bottom End, the GT35R was running out of air above 17psi and 7,000rpms (600+ RWHP)

He's just getting greedy! Who really needs an 800HP 7,800 rpm Street-Driver Turbo ZX?biggrin.gif

Hey PMC---send me some in-country contact information via PM.

I'm going to finish out here in the sea (New Caledonia) earlier than expected. It's a longshot, but maybe I can swing through.

I'm up for pissing off the boss with wild flights to nowhere just for the hell of it!biggrin.gif

Well, I just blew a GT3582R and installed a new GTX3071R. If you look at the compressor and turbine maps the GTX3071R looks like a much better fit. I can't say too much from personal experience because I have barely driven the car with the new turbo and the old one had a warped shaft, but from the data I've gotten the GTX3071R with a 1.06AR turbine housing is spooling up a little later than the GT3582R with a .82AR turbine housing. From the seat of the pants feel the GT3582R felt faster, but I don't really have much hard data to do on and I am working through another unrelated issue that could be affecting the performance. I am using a different wastegate, but the upper manifold pressure is about the same at full boost.

On another note, if you end up going the GT3582R route, I have the turbine housing with a wastegate that was installed when I bought the car. The housing was cut to install the wastegate (it is a Tial wastegate). I also have the down pipe. PM me if you are interested. I'm planning to post it up here in the for sale section today or tomorrow.

I don't have boost on my Z, but I do have the GTX3076R on my 2.5L Subaru. With 4 cylinders, I get 20psi of boost before 4k RPM and made a 373hp/386tq on a Mustang Dyno using 91CA pump gas. I imagine that it would work well with a L 6 cylinder engine. The turbo doesn't run out of breath up top, the stupid Subaru heads do.

graphphp-1.jpg

The down pipe is not V-Band and neither is the dump tube. I wasn't too happy with the down pipe because it brought the exhaust out too low. If someone buys the housing and dump tube, I would give them the down pipe, but I wasn't happy with it. My new housing is a V-band (so is the dump tube). I had a shop install a new wastegate on the exhaust manifold and fab up a new down pipe that tucks the exhaust under the trans tunnel very nicely. Now almost nothing scrapes under the car under normal driving conditions (like pulling out of my driveway).

Take a look at the borg warner 7064 efr, it appears to be a pretty good fit for the L28.

Yup, the t3 7064 is the perfect bolt on for most any L28-L31 IMO. Those wheels are Bad A$$. Good luck finding one though, as every one seems to be out of stock. I hope they are available when I'm ready to upgrade.