HybridZ

Engine idles, but will not rev

I am trying to get my 1978 280Z back road worthy and running. The problem I am having is, the car will crank and idle right at 600 RPMs. Whenever I try to apply the throttle it dies out. It will not even try to rev, just dies. I have gone through or replaced ALMOST the entire fuel system. I have installed a new fuel cell, new pump, filter, cleaned the fuel rail and injectors, and installed a new adjustable fuel regulator with a gauge. When i tested the car I was not running it on the fuel cell, I ran the feed and return hoses into a gas can. I had the pressure in the rail set at 35 psi, then went all the way to 50 psi with no change. I even tried advancing and retarding the timing and again no change.

I am looking for any advice or suggestions I can get.

Pretty sure that is a symptom of the AFM not communicating with the ECU. Either it's not connected electrically or the vane is stuck or there's a very huge vacuum leak. All air that enters the engine has to go through the AFM so that the ECU can direct the injectors to add the appropriate amount of fuel.

Just one possibility.

Well this is most likely not your problem unless you resently blew a head gasket but the symptoms are the same, when I blew the head gasket it dumped the coolant out the exhaust and after I repaired the engine it would idle ok but it wouldnt rev up and after chasing a lot of ghost [fuel and ignition] I finaly removed the catalytic converter and fired it up and it reved up fine

Okay, first off, I love HybridZ! Everybody on here has a wealth of knowledge and is willing to help. Secondly, I feel like an idiot. I am still learning the Zs and how they work. I learned, with you alls help, the AFM has to have the tube connected to the throttle body in order for things to work correctly. Looking back this makes sense, how else would the AFM be able to tell that more air is being sucked in and to add more fuel.

Again thank you to everyone for the advise and help.