HybridZ

S30 fuel pump questions

Hey everyone, I'm swapping in an L28e in my s30 soon and was wondering what kind of fuel pump to run. It has to be a low psi one since stock su's run off of like 4 psi if I remember right, could be wrong. The l28e head doesn't have the provision for a mechanical pump otherwise I would have swapped that over. Any suggestions would be great.

My 260z was running some cheap pepboys one. Worked for my SU's and my triples when I got those. It ran fine for the 4 years I had the car. I did have a regulator that varied it from 3-5 psi.

It was similar to this one

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Mr-Gasket-4-to-7-PSI-35-GPH-electric-fuel-pump-for-domestic-carburetors/_/N-25jp?itemIdentifier=732035_0_0_

You could also check out PPK's setup since he's doing the same thing in his car.

Edited by BluDestiny

My 260z was running some cheap pepboys one. Worked for my SU's and my triples when I got those. It ran fine for the 4 years I had the car. I did have a regulator that varied it from 3-5 psi.

It was similar to this one

http://www.autozone....ier=732035_0_0_

You could also check out PPK's setup since he's doing the same thing in his car.

I used to run a Carter 4070 unit. Very capable but very loud. Some have reported it as being not so noisy so I guess it depends.

I now run a Mallory LP4070, same capacity and much quieter (very audible though with engine off). It is also more expensive. For some reasons, my fuel system is not working properly. So I've got some doubts about the Mallory unit that have yet to be demonstrated (it could very be a clogged fuel line). Fuel has never been able to go above 2psi but flow was good (now there's no pressure and no flow)

Another alternative could be a Facet Redtop pump that is not so loud. there are other brand also available that would suit your needs. You need to know the power you're expecting, deduct the flow required and choose one.

Edited by Lazeum

I run a Holley "red" pump with a regulator on mine. It's a little loud with the engine off, but I don't notice it when the engine is running. It's only a little more expensive than some of the other name brand electric pumps and is rebuildable. That part I like.

Ditto on the holley red fuel pump (12-801) with a holley 0-4 psi regulator (12-804) and fuel pressure gauge. SU's are designed for 3.4 Psi or chance over pressuring the needle & seat. raw gas near the exhaust- not a good thing!

recommend fuel filter inline before the pump so you don't have any issues down the road.

post-3342-081235200 1339122590_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What filter do you use?

I'm also about to intall electrical feul pump and looking for filter.

Ditto on the holley red fuel pump (12-801) with a holley 0-4 psi regulator (12-804) and fuel pressure gauge. SU's are designed for 3.4 Psi or chance over pressuring the needle & seat. raw gas near the exhaust- not a good thing!

recommend fuel filter inline before the pump so you don't have any issues down the road.

If you want a quiet Holley Red, put it on the rubber mounts, and run a BACKPRESSURE REGULATOR and not the POS Holley set up like the one in the photo above!

The noise and high amperage from the Holley comes from people running it to a pressure really high, with a restriction regulator set up like that to make the pump work as hard as it can for max pressure to the bottom of the reg, then the reg giving you what you need downstream.

This setup can only give you as much fuel as the orifice in the regulator can pass. A possible restriction. And working the Holley in a possible deadhead or continual max pressure setup makes for short vane life (and brush life)...

Running it as a backpressure regulator, the full delivery of the Holley is available to the carbs, it only ever makes 3-4 psi (opposed to like 12psi upstream of that regulator in the photo), and your pump stays quieter, runs longer, and runs cooler! Lower Amperage is good on a car with such limited alternator capacity!