HybridZ

355 SBC 77 280z

So this past Thursday on the way to a weekend of camping I get a call from a guy who needs to move back to Las Vegas in the next 48 hours. I had left my phone # with him about 2 years ago and again in November about possibly purchasing his car when I had some $$ to "burn".....but he never called until last week. Told me he was out of work, needed cash to get his trip in order and needed to sell his '77 to fund the trip. I remembered the car but had not seen it in over 6 months as he had moved. To make a long story short, I have been off work myself for a couple months due to an on the job injury. $$ has been tight and I figured I would have no chance at purchasing hte car. After a short phone conversation I told him that I could not afford anything over a grand and if that would work for him I would come and look at the car on the 3rd. He called the morning of the 3rd and told me to come and get it so he could get on the road....now it is sitting in my driveway.

The good: It runs/drives, most everything works, wiring looks to be mostly intact, very little rust in the usual places as the car has spent most of its life in California and Nevada/only 2 spots where I see any rust through on the whole car, newer 5 speed, R200 rear end, Eibach lowered 1", good wheels, newer BFGoodrich Radial TA's, all glass is pretty clean, probably not gonna need to spin this on the rotisserie to do my welding, upgraded front brakes, upgraded brake lines.

The really good: I have most of the parts purchased for the swap, been waiting to get floor pans for the '73--now things will move along much quicker as this is way closer to being ready for the swap.

The bad: 2 rust through areas on passenger side--rust in the engine bay next to the purge canister on the wheel well, and in front of the radiator support next to the headlight bucket, interior is shot from heat, inline 6 is very tired, car was sanded to bare metal 3 years ago and primed but never painted--this will be redone ASAP, small accident somewhere in the past as the passenger rear quarter will need to be worked/possibly replaced.

The really bad: She says one of them has to go, so the car my dad left me is gonna be parted/sold/scrapped. This does not sit with me well but it is going to save me lots of $ and tons of time to work on something newer and less ate away by rust.

post-2522-092900300 1338849368_thumb.jpg

73 240z is going to be sold as is (stripped other than windshield and rear quarter glass) or scrap the shell and part it out.

Are there any parts other than the bumpers/brackets and E-brake setup that I should be saving for my swap.....?

I was thinking that I had read in the past somewhere that the 240 strut housings are more desirable if sectioning is to be done there for lowering purposes. Can someone confirm this or am I remembering this wrong?

Edited by 70 DRMZ