HybridZ

Another frame rail question......Hear me out and

OK....I'm replacing some of the obligatory floor pan rot, although very minor, on my 72 240Z. I've cut out what little metal was swiss-cheesed and have revealed the frame rails which are in perfect condition. I cut out what I needed from the Zedd Findings replacement pans and will also be left with a full set of their replacement frame rails....I just don't need them. My question is...while I have the top sides of the frame rails exposed, is there something I can do to strengthen them from the upper side (inside) that would be worthwhile? I have read many of the threads on here about how most of the benefit to be had is from strengthening the rockers and not the frame rails. That said, will I have any regrets if I do nothing while I have access to the inside of the stock frame rails? Would it be worth it to weld some kind of bracing or rib inside the stock frame rail? Please offer your opinions, either way (something or nothing), about what to do while I have the chance. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the advice PalmettoZ. While the replacement rails are thicker, I believe it would better maintain the integrity of the chassis if I don't disrupt the connection of the orignal rails to the front frame sections. That may not be the best choice but after seeing the condtiton of he originals, I don't want to cut them out. I know about capping the originals with stronger ones but don't want to spend the money for those. I was hoping someone had an idea about what works to beef up the orignals from the inside. Or would it be useless? Anyone?

Josh, I will keep this in mind if I decide to sell these...thanks.

It really depends on what you will be doing with the car. If this is a track monster, cap the rails. Buy some channel and make your own.

If it's a street car and stock engine leave the rails alone.

If youre looking to cap the originals, the rails by bad dog cant be beaten for the price! Their rails tie in the front and the rear, which is really supposed to stiffen things up. My stock rails are perfect and this is the route im going.

Im sure you could easily sell the rails you have now to finance the new ones.

The car has a turbo motor, coilovers and 4 wheel discs. It won't be a track monster but the chassis will definitley see some added stress and possible do a track day or 2.

You guys have me strongly considering the Bad Dog rails. It seems that all I need are their front rail caps (which are longer and continue all the way to tie into the rears)...Is that correct or do you have to buy something differnt from them to tie into the rear?

Do you do rosette welds into the stock rails and the floor pans (once you clear the stock rails)? Or do you do more of a continuous stitch weld along the edge of the new rail?

Thanks in advance for the guidance guys!

Edited by CarolinaTZ