HybridZ

Another LS6 280 build thread

I'm not the most computer literate person on planet earth so please bear with me on this. I have several S30's and I also have a pretty nice 1971 RS Camaro with a Magnacharged LS6 that makes 542RWHP so I'm very familiar with the gen IV platform. My first attempt will be my spare LS6 with Callies crank,H beam rods,Mahle pistons, 230 "Thunder Racing" cam and a sweet set of 243 CNC heads by Advanced Induction into 1 of my 1975 280's. I utilized the infamous search button and saw that most everyone uses the JCI stuff which is all good but I wanted to go a little different route and fab my own soooooo any criticism is welcome. This car will use a bomb proof turbo 350 with an ATI nitrous converter with the balloon plate.Just a little run around car to take to our local 1/8 mile track. I attached some pics of the engine mounts that I made last night. For my tranny mount I want to run a Chevrolet Vega tailhousing with the mount tabs on the tailhousing so I can rotate it 180* and keep everything tucked up high out of the way. Here are a few pics so far----

007.jpg

This is my starting point. A very solid South Carolina car that I bought for $450

006.jpg

Front view of the mounts

004.jpg

bottom view of the mounts. I used the lower control arm nut/bolt to attach to the subframe so it can still be removed if needed. A triangle is the strongest way with the tubular style mount.

Edited by shupee

Looks great so far! I can't wait till the car becomes slow to you and you start thinking about supercharging the LS in the 280. I've been thinking about this for a while now, just waiting for someone else to do it first :)

Joe

Went to my buddies place today. They build the "Hawk" dump trailers and have all the latest and greatest CNC plasma cutting equipment. I had him draw some sexie pieces that I need for my tranny crossmember. I'll probably catch some grief by mounting my trans from the top but bear in mind that the tranny is trying to go up not down. We utilized this setup on our rockcrawlers that we built back in the day. I'll definitely have plenty of room for exhaust.

• 1 month later...

Whats your clearance from the top of the cross member to the bottom of the oil pan? standard f-body oil pan it looks like?

Got enough play in the motor mounts to dial in some pinion angle on the trans mount?

*** edit *** what engine mounts are those?

Edited by Slow_Old_Car

There is/was enough to adjust the pinion a few degrees so I'm good on my angles. I fabbed the mounts with dom tubing I had in the shop. I think they turned out OK and I'm running generic "shorty" headers that were only $199 on Ebay. Would love to have longtubes but the ones that are in the group buy won't work with the T350 auto. I'll probably build a set later when I get time. I have about 20 hrs in my mandrel exhaust but it's done as well.

About 1" on the clearance and I think it's actually a CTSV pan from a 405 horse crate motor I bought.

Edited by shupee